• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 A25 Hydraulic or Mechanical steering

Albin's "power cruisers"
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

A27 A25 Hydraulic or Mechanical steering

Post by TorreyWP »

After coming across a hydraulic steering ram and helm for discounted price, I began considering installing it in my 27FC.

Anyone else out there have hydraulic steering?

Factory hydraulic or added later on?

It appears that there is plenty of space to make the install in the aft cabin under the center storage area. Some modification may be needed on the starboard side wall of that storage area to accommodate the rams movement and mounting.

I am also wondering if those that have hydraulic steering note the tendency for the boat to track straight is there or not. I would assume the hydraulic system would reduce the affect of prop wash and make it lighter on the wheel. In other words you wouldn’t need to hang onto it “white knuckle” at 8 knots.

I will likely wait until the boat is back in the water and I have hoses and made mods before installing. I’m in the middle of a helm panel and shifter reconfiguration at the moment.

All thoughts, photos and testimonials welcome!
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
Mainer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Re: A27 A25 Hydraulic or Mechanical steering

Post by Mainer »

Hi Tory,

I have hydraulic steering (Seastar to be specific) on my A27Sport, which was installed by a previous owner. It is wonderfully smooth and allows for quick rudder direction changes with little wheel effort. As I recall, my full range from full left to full right is about 4 wheel revolutions.

To your question re straighter tracking, I have no experience with cable steering on my boat so can't really compare. I will say that it is very easy to steer at 7 - 8 knots, though my boat also has a very nice autopilot which I use on most longer outings.

After seeing Seastar systems and/or parts advertised for sale, it looks like it would take some serious shopping to get the total cost down to a reasonable number, but I'd bet you would find it to be worth the price. However, if I had the choice between investing in hydraulic steering vs. a bow thruster I have to say I'd go for the thruster - it is VERY convenient.

I won't be near the boat until mid June, so if you need any photos of my installation at that time, please feel free to shoot me a note and I'll be happy to take them.

Best wishes for your project.

Dick
keoki62
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockport tx

Post by keoki62 »

I installed hydraulic on my 25. Everything fit nicely. Autopilot too.
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Hi capt,
my A27 came with hydraulic steering retro-fitted, sea star, fits nicely.
What if anything do you use for autopilot? Always a consideration .
What do you need for photos?
Cheers warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Post by stmbtwle »

To be honest, I can't see the expense in converting a 27' boat. If steering is getting tight, simply replace the cable. It'll steer as easy as hydraulic for a fraction of the cost.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”