• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bow Eye

Albin's "power cruisers"
jerridsc
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Blanchardville, WI.

Bow Eye

Post by jerridsc »

My A25 came without a bow eye (hook) one might use to winch the boat onto the trailer. Should I have one? What, where and how should it be attached to boat?

Thanks All,
jerridsc
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Bow Eye

Post by WillieC »

You should have one, otherwise how do you pull the boat onto the trailer?
Place it so that it snugs right under the rubber chock on the trailer. See pic. My chock needs to be adjusted down a bit.
IMG_0300.JPG
Once again, click on the picture to right it if viewing from a computer.

I installed a half inch ubolt as it provided longer length to go through a serious backing plate I made for the inside. First, I leveled out a flat spot with resin and several layers of fiberglass so the backing plate had bearing. The original 3/8" ubolt with rotted wood backing stuffed down into the vee of the inside of the hull...gently removed itself from the boat when once, and only once, somebody forgot to remove the safety chain and thought it would be a good idea to bump the boat off the trailer into the water down the ramp on an otherwise beautiful day on the Canal.

I have/had pics somewhere on the computer...maybe I removed all evidence of the crime. Can't find them just now.

Make it stout, and learn from my mistakes. It is cheaper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Bow eye placement location can apparently vary between boats & I'm guessing they weren't a factory standard item & were added later depending on style/design of trailer. Here's WillieC and our La Dolce Vita rafted up together, and you can see that his bow eye is much higher up on the stem than ours. Ours is down low, where in this photo it can been seen where the bobstay chain for the anchor bowsprit attaches.
DSCN4257 (1280x960).jpg
Here's another shot of our boat rafted with a big sailboat in Desolation Sound that gives a clearer view of our bow eye's location.
DSCN4311(1).jpg
If you're about to install one definitely heed WillieC's advice on reinforcement, but location will depend on how your trailer is set up and the height of winch & bow stop. And yeah, if you plan to trailer launch you'll need one. Conversely if you're in a situation where your boat is alternately stored on the hard in a boatyard or wet slipped & you can always count on sling launch via crane or Travelift(TM) then you could get away without having one. But for over-the-road transport on a trailer, yes you should install one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I used a really long bow eye and glued two pieces of Ipe together about a foot long and cut it to fit into the V on the inside of the boat.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”