• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 Skeg issue..

Albin's "power cruisers"
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

A27 Skeg issue..

Post by stmbtwle »

I've been plagued by a pesky leak at the end of the keel about where the skeg would be fastened.

Upon haulout today I discovered that the fiberglass skeg was held in place by 5 carriage bolts, yet the skeg had dropped about 1/8"... Looks like the water was finding it in through the joint and up through the bolt holes. I suspect one or more bolts have failed. If the skeg is loose then the bottom of the rudder is not properly supported and may move or vibrate. This may be the cause of the rudder vibration issues some have reported.

Sorry, I forgot to take pics, will try to remember and get some tomorrow.
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: A27 Skeg issue..

Post by stmbtwle »

Well, after a sleepless night wondering if I had a balsa cored skeg that I would have to replace, I went down to the yard and had a good hard look at the existing one. It appears to be solid fiberglass and while a little beat up I think it's serviceable, though loose at the keel. Will need re-bedding and re-bolting (I don't envy the yard guy that has to tighten the nuts inside the keel).

The two stainless plates on the rudder end are also loose, at least two bolts are missing. Also the rudder heel bushing is shot... anyone know where I can find a replacement?
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Actually, the skeg is relatively easy to work on but it's a two-man job. You just need some beeswax, socket and some long socket extensions. You use the beeswax to hold the nut in the socket so the inside man can thread the nut on the bolt from way-up-above using the extensions and then the ratchet to tighten it up properly. I used some 5200 and a backing plate inside in the keel and then some nyloc ss nuts, No more problems. I made my own bushing using Delrin that I had on hand. Any machine shop can make one up quickly and probably has Delrin or other suitable material. Ben
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stmbtwle »

Thanks, I'm going to print that out and give it to the guys actually doing the job.
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stmbtwle »

Getting the nuts off is the easy part. Removing the bolts isn't so simple. He had to cut the heads off with a grinder, and then drive them out (into the bilge) with a hammer and a drift pin. Not a small job, considering everything was bedded in 5200. For once I was glad to pay someone else to do the job. Now for the repair and re-assembly.

Oddly enough, the 5200 (or whatever) showed worm damage. I never thought they would touch the stuff!

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”