• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

MD3B Fuel Pump Question

Albin's "power cruisers"
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sea Isle City, NJ

MD3B Fuel Pump Question

Post by stxray »

I'm looking to change my mechanical fuel pump to an electric one. If you've done this could you post which pump you used.

What are the parameters (pressure, flow rate, etc.) I should be looking for? I did find
this one https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/prod ... ecID=9705 on line but not sure if it will work.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Al Dente
1975 Albin 25 Deluxe, Hull #2350
Volvo Penta MD3B
Dinghy: 7'2" Achilles Inflatable w/ 2 Hp Honda
Residence: Southeast Pennsylvania
Homeport: Sea Isle City, NJ
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: MD3B Fuel Pump Question

Post by WillieC »

Something like this should be fine:
Diesel fuel pump.png
I recently saw this set up on a smaller engine, but these things provide plenty volume for our usage.

I have one of these installed as a back-up, I also use it for bleeding the system. I also last year bought a brand new mechanical replacement from ASAP Supply in the UK. Reasonable pricing and quick delivery. I like the stock set up, but have heard horror stories from failed diaphragms dumping fuel into the crankcase. Seems like you would know something is amiss should that happen.

I have not used this electric pump for daily running, so I am mostly offgassing here. It is cheap enough to attempt. You will need to fashion a plate to cover the hole in the block where you removed the mechanical pump. Fairly straightforward with a drill press, hacksaw, file and green paint. And chunk of flatstock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sea Isle City, NJ

Post by stxray »

I got home today and looked at the Workshop manual. It indicates the lift pump feed pressure to be 9.2 - 12.1 PSI @ 2500 RPM. I found a 12v pump with 14 PSI and 35 gal/hr.

Is 2 PSI over the spec going to work or damage anything??? :?: :?

Thanks in advance :D
Al Dente
1975 Albin 25 Deluxe, Hull #2350
Volvo Penta MD3B
Dinghy: 7'2" Achilles Inflatable w/ 2 Hp Honda
Residence: Southeast Pennsylvania
Homeport: Sea Isle City, NJ
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Post by stmbtwle »

A note about electric fuel pumps. Unlike mechanical pumps they do NOT normally shut off if the engine stalls, and could present a fire hazard. Make sure it's properly connected so that it does shut off.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Ray, I can’t answer your question but the spec is the spec. That’s why I chose to replace the mechanical pump
The other comment about shutting it down is very good information too. Nothing another relay couldn’t fix. Etc.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

While having an electric back up pump strikes me as a good idea, changing an engine from being independent of electricity to being dependent upon electricity is a serious step backwards
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

When I bought my A25 the previous owner had installed an electric fuel pump as a backup to the mechanical pump. A few months later while doing regular maintenance I found the electric pump to be dead. Not to worry, there was a spare electric fuel pump in the locker - it was dead too! I threw them both out and bought a spare mechanical pump. At no time did I ever lose power on the water as the original mechanical pump gave stellar service and has proven to be the more reliable option.
Hull No. 1013, 1971

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”