• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

27FC wheelhouse roof width?

Albin's "power cruisers"
johnnylion
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Grande Isle, Vermont

27FC wheelhouse roof width?

Post by johnnylion »

Hi Folks,

We're still a few weeks away from recommissioning our 27FC for our first full summer with her on Lake Champlain. We're planning on installing some kayak racks on the wheelhouse roof for our two 16' sea kayaks. The boat's still wrapped and on the hard at our marina up in the islands, so I was wondering if anyone has a measurement for the distance between the grab rails on the wheelhouse roof?

Thanks in advance!
John
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Re: 27FC wheelhouse roof width?

Post by stmbtwle »

Somewhere around 7 ft. I think the pilothouse itself is about 8. Mine's in the yard, I can check Sunday.

Kayaks up there would obstruct the anchor/mast light. You might have to install a taller one.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

John, Do you have a mast? If you don't, you'll need about a 24" high steaming/anchor light to project above the kayaks. l'll check tomorrow and get the distance between the grabrails. I'm tinkering on mine again, straightening out some old wiring issues. Ben
johnnylion
Mate
Mate

Post by johnnylion »

Thanks Ben & stmbtwle. Yes, I've got a 24" anchor light extension mast on order. This will be our first full season on our 27FC as we just got her in the water up here on Lake Champlain last September. As veteran sea kayakers, we're looking forward to using her as a "mother ship" for explorations around the Lake and heading north and south on the canals.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

John, I measured mine at 76" from inside of one handrail to the inside of the other, just at the aft corner of the side windows. You should have no trouble getting your kayaks up there but you'll probably have to make the racks yourself. I use a 9' Dyer dink on davits myself, as I need room for passengers, my dog, and supplies when we're on the hook cruising. I really do love this boat and it's a lot more FUN than my bigger previous boats. Have a great season! Ben
johnnylion
Mate
Mate

Post by johnnylion »

Hi Ben,
Thanks for taking the time to measure. Yes, I was thinking of making the cross rails myself of teak or some other durable wood. Got any suggestions? I see from your info tags that you're a retired yacht carpenter. I've ordered some low profile Thule kayak holders to mount onto whatever I come up with for cross rails.

We have a 8' dink as well that we haul up onto the swim platform for transport. The kayaks are true 16.5" sea kayaks so not really all that useful for ship-to-shore hauling of stuff (although we've packed quite a bit in them when paddle camping!)

Cheers,
John

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”