• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dry Tortuga’s

Albin's "power cruisers"
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Dry Tortuga’s

Post by Mark Deeser »

Headed North to go South, only way to get out of Florida on Saint John’s River. Headed to the Dry Tortuga’s, picture taken at the free dock in Welaka Florida.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Dry Tortuga’s

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

What picture? That'll be quite the voyage to the Dry Tortugas all the way from Astor to Mayport, & by sea down the East coast of FL & out to the Keys. Why not trailer down to Key West or Ft. Myers & launch from there? Or trailer down to Stuart & take the St. Lucie River to Lake Okeechobee & the Caloosahatchee Canal out to Ft. Myers & Cape Coral? That looks like a fun trip.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I'll be following this. Took the high speed ferry out to the Dry Tortugas a few years ago and watched two guys sail in on a Melonseed. About a 15' open sailboat. They'd come from Key West. Gutsy. Holding isn't great in the anchorage there from what I've read and not much land to hide behind to get out of the wind. You'll love it out there. Don't forget to take a lot of water. They are literally dry.
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Post by stmbtwle »

Sailing there in a small sailboat from Key West should be easy enough, but getting back against the wind could be another story!
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Hemingway was stuck out there for weeks due to unfavorable winds (which are the prevailing winds)
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

'Beta Don' took his A27 there and did a great write up, I suggest you search his posts.
Cheeers Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”