• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

27 FC Swim Platform Measurements

Albin's "power cruisers"
dcpage
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Portland, Maine

27 FC Swim Platform Measurements

Post by dcpage »

Hi everyone. I've just purchased a 1986 27 FC. I've wanted one for years, and finally came across an opportunity I couldn't pass up. It needs cosmetic work, but mechanically and structurally, everything seems to check out. Unfortunately, the original swim platform is gone. The owner had removed it for repairs then ended up loosing it in a move. All the brackets are there, just no platform.

I found a couple of platforms at a salvage yard that might work, or I may try to build a new one.

Would one of you be able to send me the measurements of the original platform? And if anyone has built their own, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,
Dave
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seabrook, Texas

Re: 27 FC Swim Platform Measurements

Post by boater_mike »

Welcome dc! I am due to move the boat to a new marina, and so I'll try an get to the boat and get my measurements sometime this week. If interested in a DIY build, I've seen a few folks around here building from composite material for the local big box store. No worries anymore about rot or varnish, or any upkeep other than a good washing, but I would be concerned about the weight.

Regards,
Mike
"Corda Francis" - 1984 ALBIN 27FC #129
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Dave, If you're interested in a teak platform, I see good ones all the time on Craigslist that would fit our boats. I you're bent on doing it yourself, I'd use Ipe or mahogany, as good teak will cost you several hundred dollars and then you'll have to build it. If you want composite like Starboard, it'll weigh about 2 1/2 times as much as teak or the other woods but you will be relatively maintenance free, which is really nice. You also might see if there's a marine salvage yard somewhere near you. I believe there's one in Portland and if I recall correctly, he had some swim platforms. Ben
dcpage
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Portland, Maine

Post by dcpage »

Thank you Mike and Ben. I did find a used one at a salvage yard in Portland. It may work well, with some slight modifications. I'm curious how it compares to the size of the original. The boat is being transported, so I'll have to wait a few days to measure the distance between the outer brackets.

I'd love to build one, but with everything else I need to do, I'm not sure I have the time (at least, not if I want to get it in the water this year). Mahogany is a great idea. I'd love to have something maintenance-free, like Starboard, but I am concerned about weight.

Thanks again for the input,
Dave
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Post by stmbtwle »

Agree teak is $$$. I made the platform for my last boat out of 5/4" pressure treated pine decking, put together with stainless bolts and gorilla glue. Price was right, no rot issues, and it still looked good when I sold the boat 10 years later.
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

I was looking at a place in Brooklyn NY , they would cut swim platforms and anchor roller planks etc from. Starboard with a CNC ROUTER OR WATERJET. I can try and find info if you interested but the www with find it quickly enough and I think the platforms were about $1k.
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”