• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Cutless replacement

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

A25 Cutless replacement

Post by Sunsetrider »

Although I faded away from here over the winter months, some of you might recall my distress in the fall over the unseemly racket shivering my timbers on my final run to the storage marina. There was speculation (Desert Albin for one) that my engine mounts might be at fault, but I checked those with a pry bar and all seemed secure.

Turns out - upon inspection by our local highly regarded roving marine mechanic - that the cutless bearing was at fault. So he is now attending to its replacement and I have high hopes that my engine racket generally will soon be reduced to a more tolerable level. Right now it's apart awaiting the replacement bearing. I am excited about this!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: A25 Cutless replacement

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Good to hear from you again Stephen! So what became of the trawler you were looking at? Or are you sticking with A25 after all? Wish you could have been with us & WillieC last year in Desolation Sound. Was awesome! Hope a new cutlass bearing solves the problem. We're heading back up to B.C. in a couple weeks for another summer in the Gulf Islands & San Juans.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

What size shaft are you running?
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:54 am So what became of the trawler you were looking at? Or are you sticking with A25 after all?
That deal fell through when the boat was unable to start at the sea trial day, it having run dry and unable to prime. The owners just put it away for the winter. It's back on for sale this week, but I can't sell the Manatee until I get the shaft fixed. I might keep it for the summer at least, especially if it is running quieter.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

My mechanic is trying to source the bearing overseas. Apparently it being metric and mushroom shaped at the end means he can't find it here. Has anyone run into this problem?
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Absolutely. It is a very specific bearing and is best sourced, possibly only sourced, through Albinmotor in Sweden. The problem is that it is self-centering, with the 'mushroom' under the rubber sleeve. All regular cutlass bearings are rigidly fixed to the holder. Ours are held in place by the outer cupped half that snugs the mushroom in the socket. This floating arrangement lets it self center. Actually quite clever, and fortunately still available.

IIRC you have the MD17C, like we do, and probably have a 30 mm shaft. Easy peasy. Fork it over and be done.

Here is the link. I find the website hard to navigate.
https://albinmotor.se/komplett-prislist ... ed-d-48-12

You need to scroll down about 1000 pages or:

Search for 7602000...well that worked but then it didn't. Try entering in the search box 760. A ways down on that screen you will see Outer rod bearing 30mm. Maybe.

Hope this helps.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Thanks WIllieC - I will delve into the site and find it! The part number will be a great help.

edit: found it! :D
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Am printing a hard copy to put in my engine manual 3-ring binder, just in case I can't find WillieC's post above, if and when I need it.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I just want to warn you and your mechanic... What you will get will not be what you have currently. Fear not!

I bought one last year from Albinmotor and was surprised to see an all-composite tube with the rubber donut, instead of the bronze sleeve with composite lining and the rubber donut. It will be fine though.

I think of it this way... Composite technology is so advanced now that it is unnecessary to need a bronze tube to support it. At least that's what I tell myself.

This is what you'll get:
20180726_193118.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Ha! I thought I got snookered when the package arrived from Sweden. It didn't weigh anything. I didn't open it for several hours, thinking how in the heck do I send this back?
Then I did my best braille investigation and figured well it sure feels like a cutlass bearing, then I opened it and thought WTH!! It's a piece of wood with a rubber donut over it! (I live a very sheltered life and have not been exposed to composite materials which the thing is really made of. Sure looks like a hunk of wood at first blush.)
Albinmotor also stocks other sizes. If anyone finds a clever person who knows how to set up a lathe for composite stock and hunts down a source for rubber sleeves, you'd have something! For maybe ten people... I support Albinmotor. Who knows I may end up with an AD21 someday and REALLY need parts.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Ha! It does look like wood, doesn't it?

Look closer and you can see the layers of, I'm guessing, fiberglass. Maybe Kevlar? And it's not just wrapped 'round and 'round, but rather all wavey like. Very impressive, to me at least.

Smells like Bakelite, like when you stuck your nose up to the cooling vents in your old tube radio.

Sorry for all the technical talk. I must have sniffed too many tube radios.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Smells like Bakelite, like when you stuck your nose up to the cooling vents in your old tube radio.
Love you guys! Only an Albin boater would get off on sniffing cutlass bearings & the innards of old vacuum tube radios. :wink:

I love the smell of Bakelite in the morning. Smells like.....Victory! :lol:
kilgore-apocalypse-now.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

So delighted with these remarks that mean my precious will actually get put back together!
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

And henceforth run in stealth mode. Right?
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Where are you on the propeller shaft/engine alignment? And have you had it checked for true? Mine is a bit out and still drives us mildly crazy, but NOTHING like when we bought it.
Stealth mode? MD17C? Roight!

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”