• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Small Rocna on A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Small Rocna on A25

Post by tribologist »

Drove down to Defender today with the good intention of picking up a 22lb Manson Boss anchor... When I saw it I quickly changed my mind... It looked insane and was going to be way to clumsy. Even the 15 lb Boss looked hard to manage. Then I looked at the Rocna and the Delta plows and they seem much easier to handle since the shank is lower to the scoop. The sad part is that Rocna does a big jump from the 13lb to the 22lb. When I look at the sizing table for the Rocna they seems to think that I should have the 22 lb version but when comparing to similar sized Fortress FX and the 14lb Delta plow they are suggesting use on boats well over 30 ft but when looking at them there is no doubt in my mind that the Rocna will hold better than a similar sized Delta. Does anyone have a 14 lb delta on their A25 on this forum? Any thoughts?

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Small Rocna on A25

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

So cool that you can actually drive down to the Defender store! Anyway, what type of anchor is best depends largely on the type of bottom you generally want to anchor in, and of course your budget. Lots of articles out there, like this one from Practical Sailor on soft mud bottoms:

https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues ... 234-1.html

Then there's the question of what's best for sand bottoms. In your east coast location I would guess most bottoms are either sand or mud. Down in the Chesapeake, especially on the eastern shore, you get mostly shallow anchorages of 10 ft or so depths with black mud bottoms occasionally covered with sea grass.

From this PS article https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues ... 372-1.html :
The Bottom Line
In the Practical Sailor test to determine not only what anchor sets best in sand but how long it drags before doing so, the Bruce was the hands-down top performer. As indicated by the chart, there is no question that the Bruce sets quicker than any other anchor. The Bruce was followed by the Max, the Claw and the Fortress.

The Bruce’s reputation for setting was enhanced by the Seattle tests, in which it set 97% of the time. Even in two rocky bottoms in which all other anchors had complete or unacceptable failures, the Bruce had a 100% record for setting. (Its closest competitor, a Max, set 65% of the time.) Besides Bruce and Max, in the Seattle tests, with their setting percentages, were a Luke yachtsman (14%), a CQR (63%), a Delta (57%), a West Marine Performance2 (65%) and a Fortress (59%). (The Claw, Digger, Danforth and two prototypes in our test were not included in the Seattle test.)
What we have on our boat as a primary bow anchor is a 22 lb (10kg) Bruce (genuine brand name made in Belgium), just like that one on the boat at Joe DeMer's shop,mounted on bowsprit/roller backed by 26 feet of 3/8th chain & a total length of rode adding up to near 300 feet. That came with the boat from previous owners. It's been a good anchor with one small drawback we've noticed a couple times on Lake Pleasant. That is, some parts of the bottom in one of our favorite coves is rocky, with some small basketball and cantaloupe size basalt boulders. Twice now we had one jam between the flukes and stock & were a bugger to pry loose on retrieval. Not fun hanging over the bow trying to knock a stubborn boulder loose from the anchor.

Or secondary anchor is an 18 lb Danforth clone that we picked up in a used marine gear rummage shop in Rhode Island for $30 after the similar Danforth type anchor that came with the boat was stolen off the stern rail during our 2015 cross country road trip.
DSCN3048.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

There was a 22 lb Bruce clone there in the store (Cant believe you went up in Thames without going there...)

If you are happy with the Bruce I would think the 13 lb Rocna would serve me well. The area of the flukes (91 sqin on the Rocna) are nearly the same
https://www.offshoreblue.com/assets/res ... sizing.pdf and I would think the Rocna would dig more agressivly in sand or mud.

Thanks, that makes me feel comfortable.

I wish they made a size between the 6 and the 10... Just for us Albin guys..
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

(Cant believe you went up in Thames without going there...)
Didn't realize at the time Defender was that close & didn't think of going there. We could have easily driven over from where we were staying with friends in Weekapaug, RI. We really didn't do much with the boat there, put it in a temp slip for a week in Norwest Marina on the Pawcatuck but didn't sleep on the boat. Spent a good deal of the time chasing parts & dealing with brake problems on the trailer. Only got in two day trips on the boat, one down the Pawcatuck, over to the Thames & up to New London (not going west of the Thames), and a few days later down the Pawcatuck again and east along the coast as far as Watch Hill. The rest of the time we were hanging with the group of a dozen other Lake Pleasant Sailing Club friends that were staying at the beach house (for free I might add) & doing other things like going to the Mystic Seaport museum. Ten of us did drive over to Newport one day & do a day sail excursion on a retired America's Cup yacht. Since we were all experienced sailors, the crew let us do everything & just sat back & watched. That was fun.

But we did eat well, like this lobster cookout for 12
DSCN2571.JPG
The two ladies in the background and their husbands will be up in the San Juans & Gulf Islands this summer, trailering their O'Day sailboats, one an O'Day 25 and the other an O'Day 272, up from Arizona.

Perhaps I'd go the Rocna route if I ever lost the Bruce.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:02 am backed by 26 feet of 3/8th chain & a total length of rode adding up to near 300 feet.
Hello DA,
What size diameter is your Rode?
3/8” or 1/2” ?
Is it basic 3 strand rope?

Thx
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I believe it's at least 1/2", maybe even 5/8th, three strand.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”