• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1984 A27 electrical work

Albin's "power cruisers"
HunterBaugh
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Eufaula, Alabama

1984 A27 electrical work

Post by HunterBaugh »

I've recently acquired a 1984 A27 and it needs some work to get running again. The engine is relatively new but I have no idea where to start on seeing what electrical components work and which ones don't. I don't want to risk flipping switches and accidentally electrocute myself! Any ideas on how to start or if there is some diagram that shows the wiring throughout the boat? Thanks.
Hunter Baugh
1984 A27
"Tortuga"
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: 1984 A27 electrical work

Post by DCatSea »

Hi Hunter
You are not alone in this; the mysteries of the A27 electrical system are, I get the impression, very much based on who did the last rewire. I believe there is some sort of schematic in the document library, but it is sketchy at best (other members please correct me if this has changed - I'd love to see a definitive Albin-originated schematic).
Mazboot's systems were in a bit of a "Previous Owner" state, so when I did my clean up 2 years ago I, aided by another A27 owner who had recently done his, basically traced and tested each system back to origin and cleaned up/replaced as we went along. This didn't take too long, and involved a lot of trial and error, but as long as you are sticking to the 12v systems there should be no major pitfalls. Mine is still not perfect or pretty but everything works as it should, and there is no leakage; the alternator (which I had rebuilt) charges batteries really well, and they hold the charge, engine fires right up, all pumps, lights and wipers work, the horn scares other people in an appropriate manner (really must get a louder one), and our basic navaids tell us where we are and where to go. To date All Problems Solved, (touching wood and scratching backstays as I write).
Regarding the 110v system, I did put in a new shore charger, replacing the early 80's vintage model that scared me every time I looked at, and switched out the old GFCI outlets, which have never cut out, and are rarely used.
I suppose I should be looking at solar charging, LEDS and other 21st Century updates, but ...............…......................maybe next year.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Hunter, What engine do you have? The original in your boat was the venerable old Peugeot 4D61. at about 60 HP. If you have a newer one, it may be electronically controlled and a little more difficult if it's been wet. Ben
Mainer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Mainer »

Hi Hunter,

If the engine is in fact relatively new, that would mean it is a replacement for the original. It would also suggest there was new wiring and controls installed for the new engine, which should mean starting should be relatively simple.

You haven't mentioned whether the boat is currently in the water, and if so, is there a shore power cord plugged into the boat? If boat is in the water but not connected to shore power, there is no real concern for electrocution, since the rest of the boat is all 12 volts.

Assuming the boat is in the water and in a slip near other boats, you might solicit some advice from a nearby boater on your dock to assist in going through the following procedures..

There will be one or two electrical panels on the wall near the companion way. One labeled 12 VOLT or DC, the other labeled 120 VOLT or A/C. Flip the 12 volt switch to the on position. Your boat likely has a red battery switch that directs current from battery #1, #2 or both to the boat's systems, including the engine starting circuit. Start there and switch to #1, #2 or both. Then flip each switch on the dash on, one at a time, and see what happens. That will give you a good idea as to what each switch does.

For engine starting specifically, there will be several gauges and an ignition switch on the panel. Turn the ignition switch on and see what happens. There should be an engine alarm sound and the panel gauges should activate. At this point do not turn the key to the "Start" position or otherwise press the "Start" button. You have now found how to start the engine.

Good luck learning about your new boat.

Dick
HunterBaugh
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Eufaula, Alabama

Post by HunterBaugh »

To answer all of the questions: The engine is a Yanmar 4JH4-TE and it is in the water with a shore power plug available but not plugged in. Thank you all for the advice, I will hopefully get the boat running eventually.
Hunter Baugh
1984 A27
"Tortuga"
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

The Yanmar is a great engine. You should be able to get it running shortly and I assure you that you'll be very glad you got this boat! Good luck. Ben

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”