• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 Bilge Pumps and Thru-hulls

Albin's "power cruisers"
dcpage
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Portland, Maine

A27 Bilge Pumps and Thru-hulls

Post by dcpage »

Hi, I'm hoping someone out there can answer a couple of bilge pump and thru-hull questions.

I recently bought a 1986 27FC and I'm trying to get it ready for the season. The boat only has one (non-functioning) bilge pump, in the rear beneath the propeller shaft. I've heard others have as many as three pumps. In addition to replacing the broken one, I assume I should add at least one more...correct? From what I've read, there should be one in the center area, beneath the engine/transmission. Do I need one in the small bilge area under the locker, as well?

The current pump exits through then stern. Would a second pump share the same thru-hull?

Thanks,
Dave in Maine
Randall
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: North fort myers,fl

Re: A27 Bilge Pumps and Thru-hulls

Post by Randall »

My 1986 fc is in the water 7 months per year. I have 2 bilge pumps. One pump accessible thru closet and the other below the driveshaft. The pump below closet failed on a cruise last summer and I have not replaced yet. This year The rear pump failed and I replaced with small diameter pump due to narrow space between driveshaft and housing. During the installation I noticed the space widened toward the engine enough to slip a standard Rule pump in. You might want to check this before buying a more expensive pump. On my return to Florida the midship pump will be replaced. I would not venture out without 2 pumps even though the Albin is driest boat I’ve owned. Good luck and stay dry.

Randall
1986 Albin 27Fc
“Meridian “
North Fort Myers, Fl
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Your boat only had the bilge pump under the driveshaft in the aft cabin when it left the factory. All cruising boats should have a large secondary bilge pump, wired separately and with its own discharge outlet. Where, is up to you but it should be easily accessible. It is also a good idea to mount it a little higher in the bilge than your primary. Our lowest point is under the driveshaft aft so if you mount it in the engine compartment or under the hanging locker it will be a couple of inches higher. Mine is a much higher capacity pump mounted under the forward end of my Nissan LD28 in my '87FC. My boat does not have a drip pan under the engine like most of the earlier vessels. Ben
dcpage
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Portland, Maine

Post by dcpage »

Thanks Randall and Ben. I'll be adding a second pump asap.

Cheers,
Dave
ChrisP
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Clinton Harbor, CT

Re: A27 Pumps and Thru-hulls

Post by ChrisP »

My boat never had a pump installed below the aft cabin, under the drive shaft. It only had the one in the main bilge area directly under the drive coupling and one under the forward locker.
Any water from under the engine and on both sides of the engine (water heater and water tanks) all drain forward under the locker. Additionally, the shower drains to the forward pump too.
Last year I installed a whale pump under the aft cabin & had to drill and install a thru hull for it.
I can not imagine for the life of me why a pump was never installed in the aft section of my boat. Neither the builder or any of the previous owners of my boat before me saw the need for one back there. As far as I know, she floated just fine for 35 years without one.....as far as I know?
Anyways, having three working bilge pumps all for different compartments surely gives me better peace of mind.
Chris
1983 A27 FC
"ANNIE H"
Isuzu C240
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Chris, The original ('83 and some '84s) didn't have flow paths for bilge water from the forward compartment to the lowest point in the keel aft. There were 2 bulkheads along the way that divided the keel into 3 compartments. Later boats had the bottom of these bulkheads cut out to allow flow from forward to aft end of the keel. Ben
ChrisP
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Clinton Harbor, CT

Post by ChrisP »

tego,

Thanks for the information. I never understood why they were broke up into three separate compartments. I knew this had to have changed at some point, just didn't know when.
Chris
1983 A27 FC
"ANNIE H"
Isuzu C240
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Post by stmbtwle »

Three or more compartments make the boat a little harder to sink, but then you have to have pumps for each compartment. My last boat had four compartments, NINE bilge pumps, and four alarms. Overkill, maybe, but I slept well.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”