• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 27fc 4d61 starter

Albin's "power cruisers"
Ddeweese
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Slidell, La

Albin 27fc 4d61 starter

Post by Ddeweese »

Hello! New to the forum! Just bought an Albin 27 fc with the Lehman/Peugeot 4d61 engine. Was cruising from Valparaiso FL to New Orleans when the starter went out. American Diesel doesn’t have it, and mechanics in Mobile AL can’t find the parts to rebuild it. To top things off I’m stuck at a marina charging $50 a night.

The diesel mechanic I have is even sort of stumped right now. Any suggestions? I am in a bit of a pickle here.

David
Last edited by Ddeweese on Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Re: Albin 27fc 4d61 starter

Post by Sprig1 »

Look on eBay 1976 Peugeot 504 diesel the price is bad $500.00. Rockauto has a lot of parts to fix the starter. I think these should work. I'm sure smarter people than me will chime in. Good luck.
Ddeweese
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Ddeweese »

Sprig1

Thanks a lot. The 76 504 should fit? Wasn’t sure what year, but figured one of them should. At this point $500 sounds good, never thought I’d say that! I will check rockauto too, my armature is bad apparently.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

I was hoping someone else would chime in. It should fit. I've bought water pumps from that year car and they fit. Make sure you can return that starter. I'll search more around the internet but I'm sure you already have. Good luck Chris
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

I just found one on amazon I think it was around $26.50. Go to a website frugal mechanic type in 1976 Peugeot 504 diesel it will bring up all the one available. Then scroll to bottom you should so amazon and a link to buy. My number is 410 -708-1709 if you have any questions.
Ddeweese
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Ddeweese »

Well, it appears as if any 504 starters I’ve found won’t work on the engine, and now I’m being told that the best thing to do is repower. Not really an option due to cost. Nightmare scenario!
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I had an local automotive electric shop rebuild my starter but that was just brushes, solenoid and lube, basically. The bad armature throws a wrench into it.

American Diesel would have been my next choice (Brian) for advice, but I see you've been there. The 76 Peugeot 504 diesel might have worked but many times the auto equivalent doesn't match the marine version - especially starters (spark suppression and such).

Maybe try the an auto electric shop directly to see what magic they can do? Good luck - I feel your pain.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

What a nightmare! I ordered one of the cheap starters. I'll try it on my motor and report back. It should be here soon. What is wrong with the armature.Can it be repaired with some creativity? There was someone on the forum that had blown up there motor and was selling parts you might want to check that out. Did the mechanic take the whole starter apart? I bought a spare 4d61 a couple of years ago off the forum. I could send you a starter to get you where you want to go. I have never tried it though. Then you could send it back. What about the people in England that have parts a long shot. Good luck
I'm a little laid up at the moment I fell off a ladder last week so I'm moving slow.
Ddeweese
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Ddeweese »

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Just drove 6 hours over to pick up the starter and bring it back!

Jon - Trying another guy at a place that rebuilds starters here, maybe can Frankenstein something together! So hopefully you are on to something there.

Chris- not sure what issue is with armature, should have a little more info tomorrow after I meet with the mechanic. Also I will poke around on here and try to see what is available, a spare engine would be a goldmine! Thank you for the offer of the loan, I will keep it in mind should all else fail, I got a better (monthly) price from the marina now, and that buys some time. Sorry to hear about your fall, that happened to a good friend recently and it was very unpleasant. I hope you recover quickly.

I will keep you guys posted! Thank you again.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Wow you are really being put through the ringer all for a starter. It looks like I should start making starters for are motors. Heck I could probably sell two a year. Well I thought I was getting a cheap starter that fell through from amazon. Keep us posted
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

I just talked to a friend that does a lot with alternators. He said try DB electrical 1-800-753-2242 they might be able to help. I think they are in Tennessee.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

You might want to contact Dana at Maryland Transmissions. I had an alternator issue on our 4D61 that was solved very quickly by completely rebuilding the existing one at very reasonable cost in about 3 days - http://www.automarinetransmissions.com/. They also rebuilt my transmission, which has been very reliable since then (touching wood and scratching backstays as I write).
They are the go-tos for many of the headboat guys here in Deale. If they can't fix it they'll probably know where to go. Good luck.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Ddeweese
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Ddeweese »

Thanks a lot guys, I sincerely appreciate all the leads I can get. I took the starter to a place here in New Orleans, and the guy seems pretty optimistic. There is a lot of maritime industry here, so fingers crossed someone can sort it out. If they can’t do it, I will just follow the next lead and so on until I get it done. The engine runs really well and I got a good deal on the boat, so I don’t really want to contemplate repowering over a starter! So, I should know more Monday or Tuesday.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

I did actually get the starter from amazon I didn't think it was going to ship. For $27.00 I thought what the heck. It wasn't even close. I thought maybe you could use the armature out of it or combine the two. So if someone out there needs a starter for a 1976 Peugeot diesel I have one😀. I'm taking my spare and seeing if I can get it rebuilt.
I hope you are having some luck!
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seabrook, Texas

Post by boater_mike »

If you're still looking...

https://www.drinkwaard.com/en/marinedie ... ot-xdp490/

Should be an exact fit. It takes about 3-5 days for delivery. Looks like about $500 with shipping. Yikes!
"Corda Francis" - 1984 ALBIN 27FC #129

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”