• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 cautionary tale

Albin's "power cruisers"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: A25 cautionary tale

Post by kerrye »

My immediate short term redneck solution may be to jam a piece of hose into the outlet at the transom, use some adhesive to hold it in place and run the end up through the swim platform bracket and out the side which will raise the outlet 4 or 5 inches and turn the exhaust to the side so it won’t be subject to water entering in a current or reverse
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Is there a case for moving the outlet to the side? We've been in pretty heavy following seas, actually fun once you figure it out, but of course under decent power keeping the exhaust going the right way. I suppose if you move the outlet to the side, you'd have to ponder quartering seas. Just thinking out loud.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I was wondering the same
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Anyone familiar with a fitting which permits the exhaust hose to be attached at the inside of the transom but also a barbed piece to also install a hose on the outside?
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

I’m surprised no one has gone to “dry stack” exhaust like lobster / fishing boats have??
Seems cheaper but the aesthetics change

And Here’s a graphic on exhaust location.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

I am not agin dry stack, but I can't see where to put it on the A25. The pipe is HOT so it needs expensive insulation taking up more room. Minimally, you would lose one of the quarter berths and there just isn't a lot of room to maneuver a pipe to get there. I still like the idea. I also like the idea of a keel cooler, but maybe a bit of overkill for our little boats.

BTW, I like the graphic of exhaust flows, but I don't see how the corner exhaust prevents backflooding. If it is a simple matter of the 45 degree diversion, we could all add a 45 just before the transom fitting, lengthen our hoses a bit and go buy a beer. Discussion over.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I’m looking to turn mine and attach it to the underside of the swim platform hence raising it about 8 inches
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

kerrye wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:59 am I’m looking to turn mine and attach it to the underside of the swim platform hence raising it about 8 inches
There is a YouTube video of a A25 in Sweden with just that done. Seems to me at anchor constant splashing could possibly fill the exhaust system even with that mod?
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

The more I think about this the more I think there are nothing but bad choices. I’ve given thought to adding flat discharge hose for the section outside the boat. Given the fact that it’s normally flat it would limit water intrusion. I know it’s a wacky idea but . . . Do you have a link to the video you mentioned? Lots of long YouTube a25 Swedish videos
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

The current exhaust injection fitting goes immediately downward from the exhaust manifold. The part below is listed as an exhaust riser for the 42b. Looks like it would raise the level at which backwater would enter the manifold by 3 or 4 inches. Am I thinking of that correctly? Why is water injected on the up side of the elbow and not the down side? If this fits under my engine cover it would provide some improvement. https://discountmarinesource.com/store/ ... gJ_WvD_BwE
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

That looks similar to the stock Volvo Penta MD elbow. The water is injected into a separate chamber in the casting above the exhaust gas section. It actually enters the exhaust stream lower in the elbow where the whole thing goes back to round from elliptical. In the case of the red Westerbeke part, it is a bit more obvious with the square casting, if it is of a similar design. High fitting starts cooling the elbow as soon as it can.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

kerrye wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:25 am The more I think about this the more I think there are nothing but bad choices. I’ve given thought to adding flat discharge hose for the section outside the boat. Given the fact that it’s normally flat it would limit water intrusion. I know it’s a wacky idea but . . . Do you have a link to the video you mentioned? Lots of long YouTube a25 Swedish videos
I found it, it just shows it in passing but check out the first part of the video.

https://youtu.be/0UVNa32PbTs
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

What is the deal with that trailer? That could be very handy for all the shallow ramps we have in South Salish Sea. What made it want to roll off so readily? Keel support only and a couple rollers with the chocks up front when all the way on? Plus deployable legs at the back end of the trailer so it doesn't lift the truck? This needs more review. Maybe another thread.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

WillieC wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:30 pm What is the deal with that trailer? That could be very handy for all the shallow ramps we have in South Salish Sea. What made it want to roll off so readily? Keel support only and a couple rollers with the chocks up front when all the way on? Plus deployable legs at the back end of the trailer so it doesn't lift the truck? This needs more review. Maybe another thread.
I’ve studied that trailer a bit. I’m shocked it’s only the front supports that keep the boat from tipping. Also seems like to much load for that little truck, truck sounds like it’s diesel though!

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”