• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 cautionary tale

Albin's "power cruisers"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: A25 cautionary tale

Post by kerrye »

Thanks. I too am wondering about that trailer. Looked like maybe there was a cable running under the keel support s pulling it backwards???
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

It looks like its only supported by the forward plates but if you look over the wheels you can see the side rollers. Pretty neat trailer! Must have been custom made. The best part is that pretty much the only words you make out is “sen tar vi kaffe”. “After we take some coffee”. Very Swedish!

I will message the guy and ask for more pictures.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

If you listen real carefully, you can smell the smoke coming out of the winch motor and feel the heat even from where I was sitting.
The small rig keeps the battery closer to the load. A post 1966 VW bug would be better yet, with the battery under the back seat.

Helluva trailer, though. The hubs didn't even get wet.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Powerwinches always have that "I think I can... I think I can..." sound. Try one with a 27' Seasport Pilothouse on the other end of the cable and you would bet even odds that something is going to snap! Or the circuit breaker will just give up, up mid-pull.

Ask me how I know.

Is it just me or does the trailer seem overly complicated? It may be designed for shallow ramps, but the feet at the end look more like a trip hazard for the trailer. Better have an even and smooth ramp for them. I don't know of any ramps like that near me.

And why not go deeper with the trailer? You could set up a picnic lunch with family and friends between the tow vehicle and the water's edge.

And why take so long? And no pre-ramp prep? Hope no one was waiting. That wouldn't fly at a NY ramp. You would hear some NY comments, I'm sure.

Ask me how I know.

I would think that a simple bunk trailer with guide posts and a long tongue and a more healthy "dunk" and it would float right off and on. At least that's my plan. I'll let you know how I make out.

Hey! I'll You Tube it! ... In English even!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

The bulbous rotundity of the hull makes the back end of bunks rise up considerably requiring a fairly steep ramp and tongue extension. Out final cross member is quite close to the keel, so the back ends of the bunks can't be lowered. Fortunately our own private ramp is steep enough with a high tide to make it all easy. The trouble with this is you can't pick your launches and retrievals to your liking. So I have a hook in the ground that I tie the stern to when the prevailing winds are unfriendly. Otherwise it is pretty straightforward. Bumping off can work, you just need to remember to unhook the safety chain! Details, details...

I agree. Clearly not a 'merkan boat ramp.

Still, I would like to be able to use my trailer on the normal shallow ramps around these here parts. But that is a slow process on the video posted.

Somebody start a "Show us your A25 trailer" thread! Apologies to kerrye for hijacking.

I am still waiting for THE definitive fix for our miserable exhaust systems. The dry stack may work in our northern waters for winter boating, but even here, more heat in the cabin would be unwelcome.
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

I agree with the overly complicated trailer thing and also the need to run a little winch so hard? Makes no sense to me, and what is that other hand winch for down low? Is that what pulled the boat off so easily, when I launch I need to get my rear truck tires into the water and a little shove and off she goes.

Kerry, my boat has a riser in the starboard cockpit locker and seems to work well, my exhaust is submerged and also has a flapper cover on it. I have seen some long hose extensions on different boats but I feel like you would need to have the very aft end of the hose pointing down or sloping downward.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I ordered the Westerbeke riser to replace the original dropped elbow. Should give me 3 or 4 inches I think. I am still planning to extend the exhaust and turn it to the side but I haven’t found the right diameter hose as the outside of the thru hull fitting which has a lip which might possibly accept a hose is 2 3/4”. I have a check valve in mine about a foot before the transom so it should work like a flapper although as desert albin pointed out, this might have caused the problem since the current may have held it shut against the meager exhaust force of an idling engine
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

We are in Ladysmith right now with DA right behind us on the dock and I was strolling down the gangplank and saw this hose/ exhaust with flapper set up, not a great image but you can zoom in.

A757F417-5AB8-4C5D-8DED-EE35480260E1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Thank you. If you have a chance to talk to the owner can you ask how he managed to attach the hose to the outside of the thru hull? Maybe even ask the owner to post on this thread and enlighten us all.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I did find an old for sale ad on BC Albineers site and emailed the former owner of Breakaway for info on that install. There was a picture of the engine in that ad, and like my Westerbeke, there was no riser on the exhaust, just a downward turning elbow.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Heard back from the former owner. He says it’s hose clamped to the thru hull but can’t remember what kind of thru hull it is which permits that.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

He did state that my problem of water in the engine was a known common fault in A25’s
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

I’m in Ladysmith too. Soon as I can get away from the bakery I’ll waddle on down to the marina.
Goal this weekend is to find consensus on this exhaust issue.
Btw, it’s cheaper to take your A25 to Ladysmith than going by car.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I’m really curious as to whether it has a double ended barbed thru hull to accep hose in either side. I’ve searched high and low and haven’t found one. Mine, which I assume is OE has a second thin metal lip with about a 3/8 gap to the flat portion against the outside of the transom

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”