• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 - Trailer Help Needed

Albin's "power cruisers"
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sea Isle City, NJ

A25 - Trailer Help Needed

Post by stxray »

I’ve got an issue with my trailer I could really use some help.
I’m concerned with the way the boat is being supported on the trailer. Although she tows well, launching and retrieving is a bear.

Here's a few pictures of the port side of the boat as she sits on the trailer. You can see how the bow is being held above the cross member and is resting against the bow stop. The center of the boat is resting on the rollers and being held above the cross members.
2018-10-22 10.47.44.jpg
2018-10-22 10.47.53-1.jpg

Here’s a shot of the aft roller assembly looking forward. In it you can see how the rollers aren’t even touching the hull of the boat. As a result, the keel and the entire weight of the stern is resting on the cross member.
2018-10-22 10.52.37.jpg
In this shot, you can see where I added a keel roller and how the weight crushed it and how the keel is just sitting on the last cross member.
2018-10-22 10.52.22.jpg
So here’s my question… What can I use to move the aft roller assemblies high enough to support the boat and take some of the weight off the last cross member? I think if I do that, she’ll be better supported and will improve launching/retrieval.
As always, your advice and suggest will be greatly appreciated. Pictures of how your trailer is setup to support your A25 would really help.
Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Al Dente
1975 Albin 25 Deluxe, Hull #2350
Volvo Penta MD3B
Dinghy: 7'2" Achilles Inflatable w/ 2 Hp Honda
Residence: Southeast Pennsylvania
Homeport: Sea Isle City, NJ
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: A25 - Trailer Help Needed

Post by kerrye »

It’s hard to tell in the photos how the current aft rollers are attached to the trailer. My guess is that they should be on a post which should be raised higher. I’d probably also add a v bunk at the front to hold the boat
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stxray »

Kerrye,
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Here's a shot showing how the most aft roller assembly is mounted.
2018-10-22 10.49.45 (2).jpg
Here's another shot showing the distance from the top of the rollers (when held in a level position) to the hull.
2018-10-30 13.15.19 (2).jpg
When you say, "add a V bunk in the front to hold the boat, are you says to add a set of bunks to support the bow in addition to the rollers or in place of?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Al Dente
Volvo Penta MD3B
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Just a carpeted v bunk at the cross member behind your bow roller to carry some weight at the front of the boat.

I’m no expert but I think that stern roller assembly should be mounted on a post which allows up and down movement so it can be raised to meet the hull. Was this trailer designed for an a25? I’d definitely want those stern rollers carrying some of the load.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

It sure would be nice on the road to have those aft rollers up in supportive contact with the hull. However, just raising them up on an extended post may not permit the midship part of the hull to roll over the aft rollers satisfactorily (don't see whether the aft roller assemblies permit enough "twist" in a longitudinal direction). At any rate, with the aft rollers properly supporting the hull, you may find that you have to "float" the hull into position on the trailer instead of "rolling" it up using the winch.

My boat rests entirely on bunks, with the aft pair having a bit of "rocker" flexibility. We must float the boat over the aft pair bunks.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

The link below will take you to a posting showing the correct setup for a roller bunk equipped trailer. Note that the roller bunks are set up so they can be adjusted for height and position. Weight should be evenly distributed between bunk rollers and keel rollers.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10119
Hull No. 1013, 1971
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stxray »

dkirsop wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:57 am The link below will take you to a posting showing the correct setup for a roller bunk equipped trailer. Note that the roller bunks are set up so they can be adjusted for height and position. Weight should be evenly distributed between bunk rollers and keel rollers.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10119
Thank you, dkirsop.
That's what I was hoping to find. I searched the forum but the post you provided never came up. Guess I need to improve my searching skills, :oops:
I can print the pictures and take it to a trailer repair shop for them to follow.
Thanks again.
Al Dente
Volvo Penta MD3B
markdbecker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Higgins Lake, Michigan

Post by markdbecker »

Pictures of Ticaboo's Trailer. has been towed thousands of miles with no issues...….

Front View of Ticaboo's Trailer.JPG
Ticaboo's Trailer.JPG
Ticaboo
1970 Albin 25 series 2 #575
Yanmar 3GM30F
Residence: Jackson, Michigan
Homeport: Higgins Lake, Michigan & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

We've had trailers with both rollers & bunks. Pictures of Mark's "Ticaboo" definitely look like Lake Powell (note AZ license tags on the trailer). We drove by Lake Powell & Glen Canyon dam on the way home yesterday. Looked like the water level was up some over what it was this time last year. Even though we're only 5 hours from Powell I'm not particularly anxious to cruise there. Pretty, but not a stick of shade anywhere. Ditto Lake Mead. I swear I saw that boat in the same RV storage yard in Surprise, AZ in 2012 when we looked at another A25 for sale that was kept in that same yard. You don't often see two Albin 25's sitting in the same storage lot in the middle of Arizona desert.

As per trailer, I'm happy with bunks with roller keel supports on the frame cross members. Ticaboo's rollers are all amidships, so I guess you could just do away with the back set of rollers & rely on that back cross member for keel support.

Now that I've got the frame reinforced by "boxing" in the angle, other than getting the boat to center on the keel rollers I'm happy with the trailer. Our just completed 3,400 mile road trip was flawless.

Here was our trailer before the latest weld reinforcement job....
20190508_154104.jpg
And after. Note the new added cross member just behind the winch tower & the extra bracing on the now second cross member at the angle. This picture was taken before I re-installed the amber side marker lights.
20190524_121916.jpg

Here's how they dealt with the issue of the downward curve of the keel by the prop. Similar to yours where the last cross member serves as a keel support roller, but the difference with yours is that's the only cross member that supports the keel directly. Whereas mine has double keel rollers on each cross member. And the frame extends back all the way, allowing the bunks to extend all the way to the transom. The downside here is that a) it's difficult to center the keel on the rollers as the boat is being pulled up the ramp & out of the water, and b) not possible to get a strap under the boat to do a haul out by Travelift. Dave Kirsop notes the trouble he had with bunks & being able to float the trailer off. With ours the apparent solution was make the trailer longer. Our hitch is a good 6 or 7 feet out ahead of the bow. On the average sloped ramp I have to back in until the water's edge is at about the rear edge of the driver's door. That obviously gets the back wheels of the truck wet, so for salt water I spend a good amount of time thoroughly washing down not only the the trailer (especially the disk brakes), but up under the back of the truck & it's wheels & brakes.
DSCN3631.JPG
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Do you ever have any issue with the bunks slipping down? Are they just held in place by the bolts that pinch?
DesertAlbin736 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:29 am We've had trailers with both rollers & bunks. Pictures of Mark's "Ticaboo" definitely look like Lake Powell (note AZ license tags on the trailer). We drove by Lake Powell & Glen Canyon dam on the way home yesterday. Looked like the water level was up some over what it was this time last year. Even though we're only 5 hours from Powell I'm not particularly anxious to cruise there. Pretty, but not a stick of shade anywhere. Ditto Lake Mead. I swear I saw that boat in the same RV storage yard in Surprise, AZ in 2012 when we looked at another A25 for sale that was kept in that same yard. You don't often see two Albin 25's sitting in the same storage lot in the middle of Arizona desert.

As per trailer, I'm happy with bunks with roller keel supports on the frame cross members. Ticaboo's rollers are all amidships, so I guess you could just do away with the back set of rollers & rely on that back cross member for keel support.

Now that I've got the frame reinforced by "boxing" in the angle, other than getting the boat to center on the keel rollers I'm happy with the trailer. Our just completed 3,400 mile road trip was flawless.

Here was our trailer before the latest weld reinforcement job....
20190508_154104.jpg

And after. Note the new added cross member just behind the winch tower & the extra bracing on the now second cross member at the angle. This picture was taken before I re-installed the amber side marker lights.
20190524_121916.jpg

Here's how they dealt with the issue of the downward curve of the keel by the prop. Similar to yours where the last cross member serves as a keel support roller, but the difference with yours is that's the only cross member that supports the keel directly. Whereas mine has double keel rollers on each cross member. And the frame extends back all the way, allowing the bunks to extend all the way to the transom. The downside here is that a) it's difficult to center the keel on the rollers as the boat is being pulled up the ramp & out of the water, and b) not possible to get a strap under the boat to do a haul out by Travelift. Dave Kirsop notes the trouble he had with bunks & being able to float the trailer off. With ours the apparent solution was make the trailer longer. Our hitch is a good 6 or 7 feet out ahead of the bow. On the average sloped ramp I have to back in until the water's edge is at about the rear edge of the driver's door. That obviously gets the back wheels of the truck wet, so for salt water I spend a good amount of time thoroughly washing down not only the the trailer (especially the disk brakes), but up under the back of the truck & it's wheels & brakes.

DSCN3631.JPG
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stxray »

Thanks for all the comments and pictures.
When I bought the boat, I towed it home (approx. 150 miles) with no issues. Since then, I've replaced the tires, brake lines and brake surge. I've towed her and additional 400 to 500 miles with no signs of stress. My only issue is launching and retrieving her from the water.

When I bought the boat, the last cross member had carpet padding on which the keel sat. My replacing the carpet with two keel rollers proved fruitless as shown in the stern picture. As she sits now, the only way to launch/retrieve is to float her off the trailer or pay for a travel lift service.

I took her to a boat trailer repair shop but have lost patience waiting three weeks for a quote. I tried another shop but after looking at the pictures, he took a pass. I did find an online parts store (www.trailerpartsdepot.com) where their tech support reviewed the pictures and was very helpful.

So here's the plan:
  • I'll be adding a 12" self-adjusting, double keel roller to the rear most cross member and move the two 10" keel rollers (currently there) to the cross members further forward.
  • I'll be replacing the current stationary brackets on the rear most roller assemblies with higher pivot-type brackets. This will require that I drill a 5/8" hole in the center of the 2"x2" support arms.
  • To address the downward angle of the keel just before the prop, I will be moving the boat 2-3 inches back on the trailer. I'll have to see how much effect this has on the tongue weight. Currently its about 625 lbs.
Stay tuned, I'll let you know how well it all turns out.
Al Dente
Volvo Penta MD3B
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Sounds like a plan! Travel lift launching might be worth the expense anyway if you're in and out of salt water a lot. Would certainly be easier on the trailer & all its components. Now get out there and cruise!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”