• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Part #'s and questions Albin 25

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sapper
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Trinity Bay, Newfoundland

Part #'s and questions Albin 25

Post by Sapper »

Hello all. I am trying to find a part # for a fuel filter for an MD17D (I think it is a D. How do you tell the difference between a D and a C). I did find two part #'s from a European site... 103424 and ORB-17065. Do I have to order these parts from europe? It is a cartridge type filter. Can this setup be converted to a spin on? Also I have a fuel/water separator. It is a C.A.V. Delphi Fuel Filter/Separator 5836B250 however the bowl is empty. Anybody know what filter goes in this? Last thing for now, does anyone know where the anodes are located on this engine/boat? I am in Newfoundland and will probably have to order parts in. Thank you in advance.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Part #'s and questions Albin 25

Post by WillieC »

For the canister filter original to the engine (mine is MD17C), I use an aftermarket filter, Baldwin PF986. I can buy that at my local auto parts store, but should be readily available online. I do not know the micron rating, but the Racor, noted below, does the heavy lifting. I installed an access hole in my tank, so cleaning it is no problem. Right now I am waiting on the local Volvo Penta supplier to get me the square cut gaskets for that canister.
You can still order the factory filter from VP and I think new gaskets come with those filters. At their price, they should send someone out to reinstall it for you.

The difference between the 17C and D is that the D is allegedly a higher duty rating, not sure why since they use almost all the same parts. They are easily distinguished by the compression release levers are present on the 17C valve covers, not on the 17D.

Some water separators were originally installed on these engines. Mine does not have one, so I can't help with that. I use aftermarket Racor separator and filter along with the original filter canister since it is central to all the fuel plumbing.

The only zinc I am aware of on these engines is on the MS style transmission. When I had my engine out and was in the process of refreshing it, I found a plug on the starboard side of the transmission, down low, almost impossible to find in the boat, that looked an awful lot like a zinc holder. Of course the zinc was gone. I re-tapped it to accept a more common pencil zinc (using NPT threads in the USA) and keep an eye on it. My engine has been converted to fresh water cooling, it has a Sendor heat exchanger added on, which has two pencil zincs on it in the sea water side, of course.

Can the filter housing be modified for spin on? That would be nice, but I am not aware of any kit. On ours, the long through-bolt holds the canister on. Modifying the fixed, top housing would be quite a trick. I suggest adding a Racor type separator/filter to your set-up. While you are at it, throw in an electric inline fuel pump. It makes bleeding a breeze.

Hope this helps!
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

I have the MD17-C also. A large full-service marina on Lk Michigan changed my oil the first time or two. After that I just took the filter they used to a local auto parts store and bought an equivalent.
Sapper
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Trinity Bay, Newfoundland

Post by Sapper »

Thanks for the replys. I guess we have the MD17C as the decompression levers are there. Thank you for the info on the fuel filter, I have been able to source one. WRT the fuel/water separator does anyone know if their is supposed to be a cartridge inside or is it just an empty bown. Lots to learn. By the way, has anybody ordered anything from the European part sites?
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

I ordered parts from Albin motors in Sweden and i got the parts in about a week.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”