• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 rudder pipe head fitting

Albin's "power cruisers"
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

A25 rudder pipe head fitting

Post by Dieselram94 »

Does anybody’s A 25 lower rudder pipe fitting have the bushing sticking out of the fitting as mine does? This seems way too tall to fit. I believe the overall part is .25” to tall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: A25 rudder pipe head fitting

Post by dkirsop »

My boat is in the water but I seem to recall the bushing sat flush or slightly below the top of the pipe end.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I second what dkirsop wrote. "Flush or slightly below".

Still, I had to wiggle it a bit to get it over the threaded bung and onto the rudder post. I can imagine the difficulty you must be having with the bushing being proud of the pipe 1/4".
20190508_191850.jpg
The metal part above is the rudder post (thicker than the "pin" that goes in the bushing) and the black is just a smear of grease. No composite bushing is seen above the top of the pipe.

Me? I would measure twenty times but most likely end up cutting it flush. I didn't say that out loud though. You didn't hear me say anything.

Definitely be sure the bushing is seated to the bottom of the pipe, first.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Thats looks like aluminum?? Hard to weld stainless to make it look like that. Did you get that from Albinmotors? Mine is only about 2.32 or maybe even 60mm :-). I think i need to get into making Albin parts...,
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

Thanks for the replies everyone!!! I feel a lot better everybody’s bushing is flush or below!!! I did get it from Albin motors, and not sure if aluminum or stainless. But it’s kind of heavy like stainless. Me being color blind makes identifying metals like that hard to do. I might run a metal detector over it and see how it registers?
Anyways, I did use my vice to make sure it was completely seated. I do believe I will be cutting the bushing tonight. Right now I’m just test fitting everything as I’m waiting for my new prop shaft and coupling to arrive.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I recall reading that the rudder actually "hangs" from the stuffing box above, rather than "sit" on the pipe fitting. Therefore it should be possible to do a quick head-check with the ruler to be sure no downward pressure will be pushing on the pipe, once trimmed to fit and installed.

But now you have to be sure the rudder is "hanging" at the correct height. Yeah, I know! Jeez!

I would also check the up/down play on the rudder in the tube to be sure. The rudder is designed to swing port/starboard, not up/down.

The bushing sticking out must just be a manufacturing tolerance thing. No harm, no foul if it stick up. That's what saws are for. Just causes a lot of uncertainty! I feel your pain.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

This post will give you some help in the final fitting.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10756&hilit=rudder+seal
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

I wonder how much variance is in these hills and rudders? Even after I trim the bushing flush it will be a bit too tight. I might have to resort to slightly bending the skeg downward. It looks straight right now though.

Just got word my new propeller shaft has shipped but my new stuffing box is backordered 6-8 weeks!! The old stuffing box is in good shape, however it is bored off center when viewed from the end where the tube clamps on. I’ll post a picture tonight of that. I was a bit shocked to see that. I just really want to make sure this thing runs true.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

Some pics of stuffing box bored off center. Seems this would slightly preload the shaft off center...
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

If the skeg is strait don't bend it. File the top end of the pipe end until it fits then trim the bushing. Everything should come together without force.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

dkirsop wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:23 am If the skeg is strait don't bend it. File the top end of the pipe end until it fits then trim the bushing. Everything should come together without force.
I think your right, actually I know your right. I visually can’t see a bend but it’s for sure had something happen to the skeg in the past. Just not sure what.

Hopefully I should get some time tomorrow to make it fit. I think I found another store hat has correct size stuffing box in stock, unfortunately they’re closed until Monday. The more I think about it, I believe the misaligned shaft wore the stuffing box out of round. Probably could reuse it, but as cheap as they are compared to the shaft I can’t see fooling with it.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”