• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Gassed up the A25....

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Gassed up the A25....

Post by tribologist »

When filling up before hauling out the the at the marina the attendant handed me the pump nozzle and i started to fill. After a little while i got a small splash back and noted the fuel was clear... this was after talking with the guy about that the boater resources show diesel at Sylvan beach but they don't sell it anymore... the guy said “but small boats run on gasoline”. I shut up and paid my 4 gal before dragging it to the trailer ramp. Drained it using a siphon and my fluid extractor. Took the opportunity to change the hoses and filters. Will calibrate fuel gage and make a dip stick while im at it. I only had 5 gal in it so no big deal but if i had not spilled i would never have noticed until heading out next time. Diesels don't like gasoline.... This was a place where the pumps were set back from the dock. Im double checking from now...

Im also moving the pickup to the rear. Should give another hour of margin. My pickup is a 1/2” tube. Is that typical?

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Gassed up the A25....

Post by dkirsop »

Hi Ulf, the fuel tank fills from the rear so moving your pickup to this location would be counter productive. I can't comment on the pickup diameter because on my boat there is an elbow, shutoff cock and barb adaptor before the fuel hose. My fuel hose is definitely 3/8" diameter.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Counterproductive in what way? Are you thinking in terms on where dirt and water goes?

3/8 fuel line? Thats what my dip tube is since its a 0.63 wall 1/2” od. That seems like a large line for a small diesel. 100hp and up outboards seem to use it and smaller engines are typically 5/16. But it probably don’t matter. The hose barbs on my engine are all 1/4”

I wonder how large the return flow is.

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Cheese Louise! Was that Snug Harbor or Mariner's Landing? Of the four "marinas" shown on the NY State Canal map at or near Sylvan Beach, only Snug Harbor & Mariners Landing show fuel docks & Snug Harbor as gas only, & Mariner's Landing selling gas & diesel. You're saying Mariners Landing doesn't sell diesel anymore? Most places I've fueled at hand you the nozzle to do the pumping yourself, and diesel nozzles and hoses are usually green or yellow. Yeah diesels sure don't like gasoline & could ruin your day, maybe even blow up your boat. That could be a problem since the nearest other marina with diesel coming from the east would be Ilion, 30 to 40 some miles away. The other places listed as selling diesel on Oneida Lake are Brewerton Boat Yard, Ess-Kay Yards at the west end of the lake, and Winter Harbor which is a little ways west of the lake on Oneida River.

http://www.canals.ny.gov/maps/index.html

Moral of the story, do not trust flunky dock attendants who might be just high school or college students with summer jobs.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Right, Ilion is the first on the east side of Oneida lake. Its about midway from Albany so no problem. There is no diesel at Sylvan beach but you could always uber to tractor supply and get a 5 gal container and..... done that....

I think hose was green.. anyway. I will tripple check from now on...
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

I am thinking in terms of where contaminated fuel first enters the tank. It would have to make it forward before being picked up by the engine intake so you might have time to catch the problem before it gets into the engine. I know on my boat you could get away with a 1/4" feed as I have the AD21 engine but the larger Volvos and re-powers may need the larger hose.
Hull No. 1013, 1971

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”