• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 27 rudder strut

Albin's "power cruisers"
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Albin 27 rudder strut

Post by motthediesel »

I'm not yet an owner, but I've been doing "due diligence" research here, and other places on the web in regard to the Albin 27FC. One thing I have noticed, but have not seen discussed, is the lack of a strut from the keel to the rudder bottom on the 27. The older 25' model is so equipped, and I'm sorry to see that the 27 is not.

I understand that an unsupported spade rudder might have less drag, but on boats like these, with cruising speeds well under 10 knots, that difference would be negligible. The strut-supported rudder however, is inherently stronger, better protected from damage, and much less likely to be fouled by lines such as those on trap floats.

I was surprised to see, however, some shots I found of a salvage vessel from hurricane Irma, listed for sale in Florida. Those pictures DO show a strut from the keel to the bottom of the rudder! That one was listed as a 1988, and it has a Yanmar 4cyl engine.

Does anyone know if that boat was modified by it's owner, or did the later 27FC's all have that modification to their rudders?

Tom
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Re: Albin 27 rudder strut

Post by Panhdjoe »

Mine Had a rudder shoe, I believe they all did. That one may be modified in the way that originally they were wood.if that is stainless or aluminium it is a good mod. IMO.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: Albin 27 rudder strut

Post by tego »

The "83's and a few '84's didn't have the strut/shoe. All after that did have them. The early ones appear to have been wood. Mine, an "87, is fiberglass as far as I can tell. A lot of the owners on here have rebedded theirs and can chime in on their experience. Ben

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”