• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

seeking alternator for 27FC / LD28

Albin's "power cruisers"
seanneilson
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Glacier Bay

seeking alternator for 27FC / LD28

Post by seanneilson »

Hi There,

I've got a 1987 A27 FC with a Nissan LD 28. The alternator that I have been using for a couple of years seems to not completely align with the drive pulley of the engine. I'm guessing I need a slightly larger (longer) unit, but I don't have any part numbers. I'd appreciate knowing the model numbers of alternators that folks with similar configurations are using.

Thanks!
Sean
seanneilson
Deckhand
Deckhand

Re: seeking alternator for 27FC / LD28

Post by seanneilson »

hello? anyone? anything? lol
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Buehller?

After running our A25 for a couple years, when I got around to refreshing it, I discovered that its alternator was also out of line with the massive flywheel sheave. Since I had the engine out of the boat, it was easy to see and align using a carpenters square and Mark I eyeball. All it took was a couple washers.

I know nothing about your particular engine, but you'd be wrong if you thought I wouldn't offer some advice. This IS the internet! I suspect that your alternator is not boat/engine/model specific and could likely be sourced at a good auto-electric shop. Then there is the issue of regulation. Read everything and more than you would ever need to know here:

https://marinehowto.com/

Of course someone will weigh in that actually knows something. Be patient. Winter's coming.
seanneilson
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by seanneilson »

hey thanks for that. unfortunately, i don't think the simple washer shim idea will work here, but i like how you are thinking. at this point, I'm probably going to order a bunch of $6 belts and some belt conditioner and just change them every 100 hours or so.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Are you familiar with motorcity boatwerks? He knows everything about A27s. Goes by JT48348 here at AOG.

And your idea about carrying a bunch of $10 belts is good. Only problem with that approach is that we have found when things start going south, we get three or four in rapid succession. Thus I prefer to fix what I know in calm water with a tall cool one close at hand. Which reminds me I need to replace the alternator pulley that looks like somebody resorted to the larger hammer theory to remove it at some point. Only problem on the Volvo Penta is I have to remove the starter to replace the alternator belt?! What brain trust came up with that? Maybe a holdover from the combination starter/generator epoch in a previous millennium.
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Gunny »

Go to Rock Auto. Enter Nissan 1984 Maxima, 2.4L. Remanufactured alternators going for $46 to $50 or so. Good people to do business with. Have gotten quite a few LD 28 parts from them.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

DB Electric?
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

WillieC - Thanks for reminding me of Marine Know How. It had gone completely off my radar (what radar, you ask?) and provided hours of good reading when was learning about this stuff.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”