• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Prop shaft - stuffing seal?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Prop shaft - stuffing seal?

Post by Plum76 »

Hello, new owner here. Quick question the the outermost stuffing box seal, the last one before the bilge. Mine has popped out, likely due to too much grease I’m assuming. Can I just press it back in if it’s not damaged, or do I need to source a replacement?

If I do need to replace, do I need to address all the packing in the rest of the assembly as well, or is it a might-as-well situation? It wasn’t leaking excessively before, and it just came out on the way to the trailer for winterizing..

Thanks.

Jason
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Prop shaft - stuffing seal?

Post by dkirsop »

From your description it sounds like you have an A25 with the original shaft seal. Yes, you can just push the seal back in if you are careful and avoid damaging the lip. I keep a piece of 3/4" plywood with a slot cut into it that slips over my shaft for this purpose. The seal will press out if too much grease is put in or it over heats. Just a small dab of grease on your finger is about all that is needed for a season of use. Note there are two seals present on this fitting - one fore and one aft. When correctly fitted to the shaft log there should be about a 3mm gap between the end of the shaft log and the rear seal. The shaft log acts as a retainer to stop the rear seal from popping out.

When re-launching your boat you should loosen the rear hose clamps on the seal and flex the hose until water begins to drip freely. Then re-tighten the clamps. This removes air from the shaft log and prevents over-heating of the seal from shaft friction.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Plum76 »

Thank you, that’s what I needed to know. Correct on boat ID, 1970 (or 71 per title) A25 deluxe, running the original AD21 (rebuilt).

Thanks much.

Jason
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I have the same vintage 1971 A25, except re-powered with a Yanmar, with what probably is the original conventional stuffing box, which I assume yours is too. In fact, re-packing the stuffing box is on this year's PM list. I use this stuff from Defender (available elsewhere too I'm sure)
flaxpack.jpg
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pa ... &id=995213

Whichever type of packing material you use, here's a good primer on the "science" of traditional stuffing box packing. Thanks for posting your question, I just learned some new things here.

https://marinehowto.com/re-packing-a-tr ... ffing-box/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Plum76 »

Great reference there. I’ll probably pull my box apart, not knowing the history of how long it’s been in service and what condition it is. Good to check before I try to put too many hours into it.

Jason

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”