• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rubrail on 27FC

Albin's "power cruisers"
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Rubrail on 27FC

Post by tego »

Just finished installing my new rubrail. The original rubrail is no longer available, but Hamilton Marine has a replacement that looks identical but is actually a little more robust. It'll go on over our original insert but is a little wider/higher. The original was 1 1/4" high and the new is 1 1/2" so it will not go into my old aft corner fiberglass pieces. I made two new ones to fit but if anyone wants my old ones to replace some crunched ones, PM me and I'll ship them to you. They"re in good condition and cleaned up nicely. If anyone needs a section of the old original rail, just let me know. Ben "87 27FC #302
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: Rubrail on 27FC

Post by DCatSea »

Hi Ben

Could you please post some pix of before and after. Mine could use a bit of a spruce up; they're OK, but new is always nice (especially if you're just about to shell out for a topside paint job).

Thanks
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Doug, I'm sorry but I don't do pictures. The last two times I tried it I messed up my wifes computer and I'm still paying for it today. I can access AOG, Trawler Forum and yahoo to check e-mails. I can also do research online, but no photos. My old flip phone doesn't do them well either. Maybe someday I'll try again or get a smartphone, but I'm perfectly happy this way. Anyone that wants to " talk boat" can PM me and I'll send my phone number or call you. This rubrail does look a LOT better than the old one that had a 12" section that was missing when I got this little jewel. It never leaked but it just "Bugged" me. I've done a lot of modifications to make it better. I'm currently out of projects except for the engine swap, which I've talked about on here, but that's primarily for my convenience, as I'm getting a little long in the tooth to crawl down there in the "holy" room with my large 6 cyl Nissan. Ben
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Stmbtwle, They'll be on the way early Mon morning. Glad you could use them. Ben
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Not to worry Ben; I too have messed up Il Commodora's PC and know of what you speak. Luckily i was able to fix it, and surreptitiously do some much needed maintenance and updating.

I'll go to Hamilton Marine and see what they have - is there a part# i should be looking for?
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Doug, The part number for the rubber rail is BBP-867-FB. Like I said, this is a beefier rail than the original, but it will fit the old plastic insert if yours is in good condition. If you need the insert, the part number is BBP-1063-RB. The insert comes in 8" lengths and the rubber outer rail is listed in the catalogue as 65' lengths. When I measured my old rail along the outside surface, I got 66' so I asked for the next longer cut section they could get and they shipped me a 75' length. I dealt with Darryl in purchasing who is retired but still works at the Searsport store (which is the only HM store to deal in rubrails like this), but he only works on Sun to Wed. Just ask for Darryl W. He's great to work with. His nephew, also named Darryl, works there too. I think you might be able to use 65' if you stretch it during installation, but I didn't want to end up just a tad short!
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Excellent, thanks Ben. I'm gearing up for Winterwork 2019/20, and a new rubbing strake is on the list of "nice to haves". Also glad to have Hamilton Marine link.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Something I forgot to mention that is important, is the temperature outside makes a big difference. This is much easier done if the temp is about 90* F. The old rail came off easily but do it slowly in case your old rail insert is damaged under the rubber. Mine was not. I laid my new rail out in the sun on a concrete dock for an hour before I started putting it on the boat. It gets very hot to handle so wear some thin gloves and it'll go on quite easily. I put on about 2-3 feet at a time working with my hands and then tap it with a good rubber mallet and I had it all on in about an hour. I didn't put any retaining screws on for two days to allow it to settle into place. After that I did my final corner trim cuts and put my new corner pieces on with the retaining screws. It was actually one of the easiest jobs I've done on this boat.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

This is much easier done if the temp is about 90* F.
Well I guess you'll have to come out here to do the job. We're still close to 90. :lol:
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Bin there in August - quite warm, but after Kuwait and Qatar in Summer...?? This is a Spring job - after everything else - if needed. :-)
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
wichhojr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Newport News, VA

Post by wichhojr »

Did you do this repair because of rainwater leaks? I have leaks in my aft cabin and believe the deck-to-hull joint is the cause. Thinking of removing the rub rail, and the insert, sealing the joint, and putting it all back together. So, did you have leaks before, and if so, did this repair fix them?

Thanks!
Bill Hoffman
1988 27FC "ShoeLady"
Newport News, VA
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Bill, No, I didn't have any leaks from the hull-deck joint but I know a lot of pre "87 boat owners do. My aft cabin leak (only one!) came from the handrails on top of the cabin and I had to repair them by removing my overhead lights and work through those holes to remove my handrails for the repair and replacement. I also know that some aft cabin leaks actually occur at the portlites and look like they are coming from the hull joint. The only reliable way to tell is to remove the trim pieces at the edge of the overhead liner, remove the staples for the vinyl and look at the back of the vinyl. if it's been leaking a long time, you may have to replace the wood backing strips that you staple the vinyl to. I did this also. It's not really a bad job but does require some patience! I didn't have to actually remove the vinyl overhead but it really looks great now. If you do the hull-deck joint repair, the new rail and insert from Hamilton Marine will work great. I had to make new aft rail corner pieces but that was easy. PM me and I'll give you my phone number and the details. Ben

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”