• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Beta 16

Albin's "power cruisers"
Jmk2000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

Beta 16

Post by Jmk2000 »

Has anyone put a Beta 16 in a 25 to replace the Volvo? Just curious, I would think it would be a good fit possibly
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Beta 16

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

No, but what year/version is your A25, early pre-1972 full displacement or semi displacement A25 DeLuxe? IMO a 16 HP would be under powered for either model A25. In the former case a 3 cyl Beta 25 (25 HP) or Beta 30 (30 HP) & for the latter a Beta 35 or 38 would be more appropriate. 16 HP would be fine as an auxiliary for a 25 ft sailboat, but even the earliest AD21 powered boats were 21 HP. Later DeLuxe model boats had 36 HP MD3B & MD17C Volvos. We have a Yanmar 3GM30F, rated 27 HP max & 24 HP continuous & does fine for 6.5 knot cruising at 2,350 RPM on a 2.62:1 gearbox & 17 X 12 prop.

Check out this site for a Beta dealer up in Connecticut who has installed Beta engines in an Albin 25. I don't vouch for this installer, just as an FYI on what this project entails. He mentions that a Beta 38 would be the better choice for later DeLuxe models. Early models have a stepped engine box that was made to fit Albin's in house built 2 cylinder AD21 engines. Later DeLuxe models redesigned engine box to fit the larger 36 HP Volvo engines.

http://www.soundmarinediesel.com/Albin25Repower.shtml
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Beta 16

Post by dkirsop »

One of my boating colleagues repowered with a Beta 30 which is well matched to the A25. The engine is smooth and also has more torque usually allowing a 17" prop to be used. He travels about 1kt faster than I do with my AD21 (2cyl. 21 HP) engine. That extra 10HP is handy given some of the currents we experience here.

Be aware that modern engines are smaller, lighter (and quieter) than the old ones. You may find you will need to get a longer propeller shaft and reconfigure the mounts and exhaust system as well. Because the engine is smaller it sits lower in the engine box - my colleague had to install a riser elbow on the exhaust outlet to keep it above the water line. He also had to install an anti-siphon loop on the water intake to avoid siphoning issues for the same reason. However, these problems are likely to be encountered with any new installation.
Hull No. 1013, 1971

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”