• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

4d-61 diesel injectors torque spec

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

4d-61 diesel injectors torque spec

Post by Sprig1 »

When we have been running up the bay I've noticed a faint black smoke Coming from the exhaust. I always had a large quantity at start up but then it would clear up. The other day I started it up usual smoke but it never cleared up and a small sheen of diesel on the water. We scraped that trip. So I went home and had a nap to think about it. I new it was the injectors and I new they were probably impossible to find. Not a good nap. Just before dark I decided to take them out. First mistake. It wasn't to bad getting them out I damage one. Like a dummy I broke the first one I took out before I figured out the proper way to take them out. I broke the return fuel barbs off. How stupid of me I've worked on machinery my whole life to. Long story short I had the injectors totally rebuilt everything is good. All brand new parts. The injector repairman said the whole unit is not available but parts are. They had them back to me in three days! My question is does anyone know the torque specs for the injector? Assembly is tomorrow.
Thanks
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: 4d-61 diesel injectors torque spec

Post by DCatSea »

Chris - I've texted you a name and contact info. of a guy who worked with Bob Smith at American Diesel
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

Sprig1,

Maybe too late for you, but this is what I found --

I'm sending my injectors out now for a cleaning/rebuilding/calibration, so I checked in my engine manual for torque specs. For the one piece, screw in injectors (Roto-Diesel) that are on my engine, the book shows 90n/m or 66ft/lbs.

If any one is interested, here's some shots of the socket I made up to remove the injectors. A deep socket is required, but it also must have a lot of clearance inside, so a regular deep socket won't work. (DAMHIK :wink:) I have a long 27mm box end, but it wouldn't fit on all the injectors. So I cut the cheap 27mm deep impact socket I bought, then welded a short length of 1-1/4" pipe in the middle. (I ran short beads and quenched each time to preserve the temper)

It worked a treat, but then after the fact I found that dedicated "injector sockets" are available, and they're not very expensive. So don't be a dummy like me, and just buy one -- although I do now have another "heirloom tool" in my box now to pass down to my kids! :lol: They're always teasing me about my SST's -- (Special Service Tools)

Tom
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Thanks for the information. I'll torque mine down some I was only doing 35lbs. I saw that on a Cummins spec. I finally found the right socket at the pawnshop. I was getting ready cut one up like you did.
Thanks Chris

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”