• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Peugeot XD90 shop manual

Albin's "power cruisers"
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Peugeot XD90 shop manual

Post by motthediesel »

I did some rooting around and I found an old copy of this manual. It's for the car engines, so there are some differences (like chain drive for timing) but there's lots of good info there anyway.

I know the moderators are circumspect here about copyright infringement (and rightfully so) -- but if anyone has a question that might be answered in this book, I'll be happy to help.

I'm posting this here because I think the 27 FC was the only Albin to use this engine, if that's wrong, I'd be happy to post it elsewhere.

Tom
Fred Webster
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Re: Peugeot XD90 shop manual

Post by Fred Webster »

Have you posted it in the site? If not could you email it to me?

Thanks
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Fred,

I’ll contact the moderator and ask what they think, I’m guessing the Haynes people might not be too crazy about anybody posting it online.

It’s 140 pages, so it would be an undertaking to scan it all, but I’d consider it. There’s some car-specific stuff in it too, but it’s mostly just engine.

If you have a particular question right now, I’m sure I could scan those pages and PM them to you. Let me know.

Tom
Fred Webster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fred Webster »

Thanks Tom.
If it's not too much trouble I'd like the section about the starter. I think the same block - including the starter - is the same as used on the Lehman 4D61.

I'd like the specs, to see if a Peugeot starter would be a direct fit.

Fred
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Here are the Indenor manuals in PDF format ready for posting to the members library. I thought I'd sent these some time ago, but maybe not. Also - the Lehman parts manual.
Hope they'll be useful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by DCatSea on Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Fred,

Maybe, but I talked to a guy who has run a Peugeot shop in Vermont (Peugeot Holm) for many years. He says that the marine conversions use the Peugeot “truck/industrial” starter, not the automobile unit.

Those were used in tractors, equipment, and the Peugeot/Citroen vans. He thinks he can locate a rebuilt for me. I ordered one a couple weeks ago, but I haven’t heard yet if he has been successful.

I ordered one of the gear reduction type that are used on the Peugeot diesels in Cat fork trucks from Amazon. That did not come close to fitting, so I sent it back. It only cost me return shipping — nothing ventured, etc.

I will scan the starter pages from the manual and PM them to you, see what you think.

Tom
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Whoa! I just saw Doug’s post, I guess I won’t bother PM-ing anything, it’s all there already!

Tom
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Here's a fairly old list of Lehman relevant sites from all over the world, which may be of increasing use as our Mighty Lehman's continue to age gracefully and noisily.
Some of them may be no longer functional, but its worth looking or following up.

I'm definitely not a diesel mechanic, but the previous postings have allowed me to sound vaguely as if I know of what I speak when dealing with real mechanics. I've also surprised myself with a couple of jobs in the engine space.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Fred Webster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fred Webster »

Thanks to everyone for the comments, suggestions, manuals, etc.

If anyone does find a source for a starter, I'd like to know about it. A local auto shop that rebuilds starters tells me that they should be able to source parts to do a re-man. However they would need it for a few months to locate parts.

As of now, the old Lehman chugs away just fine, but with 2,300 hours it might be prudent to have a few spares on hand.

Cheers,
Fred
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

FYI - RNummi (haven't heard from him in a while) posted this really useful note on the 4D61
rnummi wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:33 pm Just some posts I dug up while surfing on a rainy day.... Enjoy.

The MB21A and MD21B use the Indenor XDP4/90 base engine.
Indenor stands for 'Industrie du Nord Est' which later became part of Peugeot.
The engine was to be found in Peugeot 504s, Citroen J7 vans, Opel Blitzs, Ford (UK) Granadas and a few others besides. It is still (or at least was last time I checked) used in the Mahindra Jeep from India where it is still in production.

In addition to the Volvo Penta marinisation the same base engine was used by Vetus (Netherlands) in their P4-21 and by Lehman as the 4D61. Also lots can be found in the Netherlands just branded 'Indenor bootsmotor' and painted bright red.

Only Volvo to my knowledge went to the lengths of replacing the standard timing chain with timing gears though.

My own is 30 years old and still going strong.
The circulation pump is showing first signs of a problem but there's a company in the UK that will rebuild it for a reasonable price.

I've learned a fair bit about these engines so any questions just ask.

The XDP4/90 or XDP4.90 derivation is well known here in the UK as I guess it was a much more common engine in its automotive form in Europe. For maintaining the non-Volvo bits I use the Peugeot 504 2.1D workshop manual published by Haynes and can confirm the 2112cc base engine is identical.

They were said to be 'good for 300,000 miles in taxis' so the only real problem should be maintaining the salty bits.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Apparently Mahindra North America builds the Mahindra Roxor off-road side by side jeep in Michigan, with the Mahindra Roxor diesel engine which is based on the Indenor XDP4/90. I have sent a request for further info.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

It would be interesting to see how many parts from that vehicle would interchange with our engines. It might be moot soon here though. I believe that Jeep is seeking an injunction against Mahindra regarding the sale of the Roxor in the US on the grounds of copyright infringement. Spoil sports!
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

The Roxor is classified as an off-road/not street legal ATV. It just looks like an old model Wrangler :-), but if the engine parts are compatible they might be going cheap if GM is successful. Worth keeping an eye on it. It'll be interesting to see what their response is.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”