• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rudder port A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Rudder port A25

Post by Dieselram94 »

Good evening everybody,
It seems my rudder port/stuffing box is not very well bonded anymore to the hull. Seems it was simply glassed into place...
I think it’s as easy as grinding away the old matting and reglassing in the port. However I cannot see where it ever had any type of bedding compound and it appears to be all one piece installed from the bottom? I haven’t started grinding yet as it’s time to bed it down for winter. Does anyone know if this piece will just drop out of the bottom if I clean all the glass off the interior side? Seems it might be too thick to drop through the hole? There are plyer marks on the collar under the hull so maybe it threads into the upper half?
Just hoping somebody has been there, done that already. Lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Rudder port A25

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Wish I could help, but no haven't messed with the rudder. Will be interested to hear how it works out or about others' experience. Looks like it must have been a bear getting that tiller head loose. In our case it's been 'let sleeping dogs lie', and 'if it ain't Baroque don't fix it'. I kind of wonder if the bushing and the pipe are all one welded piece that was glassed into the hull as you say it appears? Sure looks like that could be the case. When you look up general rudder shaft stuffing boxes many are like prop shaft stuffing boxes with a packing gland & nut. This doesn't appear much like that but instead more like a cutlass bearing.

I guess it would be nearing winter in Maine (two seasons, winter & July?). I imagine at this point the concern is more about winterizing things.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

Yes sir! It’s time to winterize! I’ve been all summer installing a brand new prop shaft and moving the motor over about half inch. I’m not sure it was ever straight in the boat. I just have no time with the babies running around! The tiller actually came off fairly easy after I drilled all the way through the pinch bolt. After electrolysis and paint it looks almost new! I’m thinking it might be spring before I get this repaired as winter is closing in on me. Hope to have the boat covered tomorrow. But I do have halogen work lights and a large buddy heater so who knows, maybe I’ll try to get this done right away. I’m thinking it will come out easy as it actually spins in its bed of glass...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

We had a seep-leak out the top of the rudder tube which was easily fixed (comparatively) by dropping the rudder and installing a new rubber O-ring. (I have extra O-rings in case you want one of mine instead of chasing down a source on your own) Our rudder crank was in "like new" condition compared to yours.

I recently dropped the rudder again in order to remove our original prop, which will be replaced by a new Michigan Wheel.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

NickScheuer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:18 pm We had a seep-leak out the top of the rudder tube which was easily fixed (comparatively) by dropping the rudder and installing a new rubber O-ring. (I have extra O-rings in case you want one of mine instead of chasing down a source on your own) Our rudder crank was in "like new" condition compared to yours.

I recently dropped the rudder again in order to remove our original prop, which will be replaced by a new Michigan Wheel.
I would like a oring, if you like I can PayPal you some money to cover it.
Thanks!!!

Upon further inspection it really seems the unit is one piece. I think I’m best off to remove it all all traces of the matting that attached it and reattach using layers of woven and can with epoxy resin. This boat has definitely had something happen to the rudder in the past.
But at least I’m working through all the problems! Haha, even the skeg was a issue!
Had to have this piece custom machined out of stainless to “repair” the skeg so it would accept the rudder pipe head as it’s supposed to.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Here is some good info.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10756&hilit=rudder+seal

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11785&p=77575&hilit=dkirsop#p77575

You've got your hands full with quite a project. That rudder/skeg attachment is not original so there is custom work involved there. I was shocked to discover that Albinmotors in Sweden actually sells the stock end fitting that carries the bottom of the rudder post. But for it to work, the skeg itself must be OEM, or a close facsimile.

Good luck! Seeing the condition of your parts makes me appreciate mine, which I thought were beyond help when I first dug into them. There is nothing on these old boats that can't be fixed...sort of.

(Side note...Is the title of this thread a typo or is it just me? Rudder Post...? Moderators?)
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

WillieC wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:38 pm Here is some good info.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10756&hilit=rudder+seal

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11785&p=77575&hilit=dkirsop#p77575

You've got your hands full with quite a project. That rudder/skeg attachment is not original so there is custom work involved there. I was shocked to discover that Albinmotors in Sweden actually sells the stock end fitting that carries the bottom of the rudder post. But for it to work, the skeg itself must be OEM, or a close facsimile.

Good luck! Seeing the condition of your parts makes me appreciate mine, which I thought were beyond help when I first dug into them. There is nothing on these old boats that can't be fixed...sort of.

(Side note...Is the title of this thread a typo or is it just me? Rudder Post...? Moderators?)
I’ll post some pics tomorrow of my fix for the skeg, it turned out awesome. Overall the boat is pretty decent condition, but between the motor alignment, the bent and worn prop shaft, and all the rudder issues it’s been educational and expensive! lol
That’s ok though as I’m approaching this boat with the mindset I’m just going to dump a massive amount of time and money into it. Haha
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Now you're talking like a REAL A25 owner! Dump massive money and time into it and then laugh about it! I haven't quite reached the laughing stage, but I am mostly enjoying the whole process. It doesn't take much time on the water to see how worthwhile it all is.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

Lol! For sure! I’m just imagining all the good times I’m going to have with my son and daughter as they grow.
My son is almost two and daughter almost two weeks! Here in midcoast maine there are tons of awesome places to explore and burn weeks on end of time if one wanted to without getting bored.
So far it’s been open bank account and laugh about it, but it’s cheaper than other types of addictions! Haha (still could get me divorced I suppose though!) the wife did look at me sideways when I purchased the brand new trailer for it! 🤫
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

I've got a few of these O-rings, Dieselram94, and I only need 2 or 3. Give me your address somehow (is there an index here?) and I will merely drop one in the mail, free.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

NickScheuer wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:40 am I've got a few of these O-rings, Dieselram94, and I only need 2 or 3. Give me your address somehow (is there an index here?) and I will merely drop one in the mail, free.
Pm sent.
Thank you!
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

PM replied. I don't check pm's as a rule, unless prompted here.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

Here are the pics of skeg repair. It is a solid piece of stainless machined down to fit inside of original skeg and the end is machined to accept the original Albin rudder pipe head fitting...
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Nicely done!
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

WillieC wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:54 amNicely done!
Thank you!
My machinist can’t work magic for sure!
Next best thing to original!

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”