• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Replace binnacle

Albin's "power cruisers"
garybodie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hampton, VA

Replace binnacle

Post by garybodie »

I've been lurking for a few years. Back in May I purchased an Albin 27 Fisherman model with Westerbeke 100 hp. Formerly, "Monkey Do" based in Annapolis. I'm based in Hampton, VA at HYC.

Thinking about replacing the standard double lever binnacle with a single lever binnacle. Any thoughts, recommendations or previous experience?

-Gary
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Replace binnacle

Post by Norseman »

garybodie wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:00 am I've been lurking for a few years. Back in May I purchased an Albin 27 Fisherman model with Westerbeke 100 hp. Formerly, "Monkey Do" based in Annapolis. I'm based in Hampton, VA at HYC.

Thinking about replacing the standard double lever binnacle with a single lever binnacle. Any thoughts, recommendations or previous experience?

-Gary
Uh, binnacle is the compass housing.
You mean throttle/gear shifter?
I did that on my 28TE, replaced a 2 lever with a dual function single lever.
Look for my thread about repairs, improvements etc on the Albin 28TE,
pictures and comment on the conversion should be right there.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

I replaced my dual lever throttle/shift lever for a single lever style last year and couldn’t be happier. I like the clean look of it also my wife really likes the simplicity of using one lever.

Norseman, I think Gary is referring to a binnacle style shift lever, sometime referred to as top mount. Several companies make the kind required for our boats “single lever, dual action”. I opted for a used Morse shifter from eBay. I liked that it kept the proper vintage look to the helm. Beware of knock offs that do not offer the same smooth shifting action due to lack of nylon spacers if you are seeking a true Morse brand.

When I replaced my shifter, I also upgraded the throttle and shift cables to Teleflex Extreme series 33C cables. I believe what was in my boat was original and cable manufacturers have made many advances recently; it really helps keep that nice smooth feel with minimal feedback.

Good luck Gary!
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

It's certainly a matter of choice, but remember that when you go with a single lever control, you effectively reduce the annular movement of the throttle control to less than half of what you had with the dual lever setup. It may well make for more convenient maneuvering, but it also makes small changes in engine speed more difficult to accomplish -- your decision.

Tom
Last edited by motthediesel on Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Just replaced the throttle cable on our single lever setup. The shift cable was OK, but the throttle cable runs close by the exhaust manifold & melted through the outer plastic coating. Took a piece of rubber propane gas hose split down the middle to use as a shield where it's next to the exhaust.. Some good deals on cables from Wholesale Marine online out of Cinncinati, OH. $39 including shipping for a 13 foot TFXtreem 3300/33 Type Universal cable.

Ours is what I presume is OEM single lever control, with cables adapted to Yanmar engine. Works fine for me. There's a release button that disconnects the gear shift portion for adjusting idle speed without engaging gear. Makes me crazy when the Admiral shuts down the engine & leaves the stop handle pulled up & doesn't disengage the shift to leave it ready for the next start up.
DSCN3638.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

. but it also makes small changes in engine speed more difficult to accomplish
Nah, not on my tub: Fingertip control within a few RPMs.
(Flowscan electronic tach)
Installed a brand new Morse single lever and 1 new cable, forgot which one, probably throttle.
Love the setup, never liked the dual lever controls, too much going on, especially on twin engine boats... :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”