• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Where do you put stuff?

Albin's "power cruisers"
sailonset
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Onset, MA

Where do you put stuff?

Post by sailonset »

Okay, stow would be more proper. Not a lot of places in the 27 forecabin to put things. There's the bin under the dining seat, which looks to be intended as an icebox. (A side question then, what's the covered bin at the aft end of the galley counter?) I plan on a 12v cooler/fridge at the fore end of the counter, where the PO had a 110v dorm fridge. The cushion and fold-up shelf are long gone. And that will cover the storage area below. (May add a vertical door on the face of the seat, to get to the space.) And then there's the space under the V-berth, which is somewhat taken up by the Vetus bow thruster motor and controls.
There's not a lot of space behind the stove and sink, but I've seen a few ideas for storage there. My idea is to add some simple cabinets from behind the Origo over past the cooler/fridge. Below is a first mock-up of a plate holder. This could go all the way up, but I like the idea of putting things (stuff) in the top.
Hope all had a fine Bird day. Perhaps also Black Friday and Cyber Monday yet to come!
dge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Re: Where do you put stuff?

Post by coolchange »

ANS: anywhere I can...but remembering where stuff is is more of a problem.
However, these mods are onboard:
  • the "icebox" at aft end of counter no matter how much insulation is only good for a day trip (maybe) so I use it for paper towels, rags etc.
  • I have a cooler blocking the cover of storage at fwd end of counter so I cut an access into the vertical wall under the cooler...no flat bottom but handy for first aid kit and some other things
    • under the v-berth I have a large plastic tub (bilge can slosh forward) and keep things I don't need to see too often
    • toaster and elec heater live under the steps
    • Port wall has similar to your mock up and holds a lot of day to day stuff...has a cig. lighter socket for charging phones etc
    • added 3 bamboo trays which hold spices, oil, vinegar etc behind the sink and to the right
    • not in the galley but I also cut side access under the starboard stern bunk so I can store stuff without having to move the bed..didn't bother with the other side as too crowded with exhaust run
    1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
    6th, and most favorite boat yet
    Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
    Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
    sailonset
    Gold Member
    Gold Member

I like your thinking!

Post by sailonset »

Thanks much.
    Pretty much parallels mine, even to the cooler. Also thought of a door to the space under the counter in the head, behind the toilet. That really is an icebox on the counter? Only room for ice! Thought might be another purpose, after finding the space with a drain under the seat. Maybe even with some insulation. So tub is the way to go, below. Hadn't considered water getting in there.
    And, yes, USB outlets everywhere!
    An '89, wow!
    dge
    Ambler27FC
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

Previous owner added a mini fridge fwd of the kitchen counter (fold-up extension removed) and it is a very smart location. There is good access under for the wiring connections. With a 2 house battery setup it needs 2-3 hours of charging per day. I use the iceboxes for medium-access storage - they are good storage spaces.
    tego
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

The space behind the head is a really easy area to utilize. I simply cut an access door about 8"x14" and made a flip up/down door of teak ply with self-closing hinges. The space available is about 2 cu feet. Make a panel for the aft side and the bottom inside and paint inside. It'll hold 2 beach , 2bath, 2hand towels and several washcloths plus several bars of soap. You can attach the cleats for the ply panels inside with 5200 to the hull. Don't forget to sand the inside glass surfaces, as they're pretty rough. Ben
    sailonset
    Gold Member
    Gold Member

Post by sailonset »

Looks like coolers are popular in that spot!
    Thanks tego for confirming my expectations.
    Thanks Ambler about the fridge. Think solar could keep it going without the diesel? Lot of nice room atop the pilothouse!
    dge
    Ambler27FC
    Gold Member
    Gold Member

Re: Where do you put stuff

Post by Ambler27FC »

I have two 2x4 solar panels above the helm. About as much as the boat can accommodate. Allot of improvement in solar lately, but I generally get 1-1.5 Ah. This is enough for the primary electronics, but not sustained refrigeration. I only use the fridge when moving or plugged in. Recommend the solar though.
    Jay Knoll
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

You might find some ideas in my thread

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6804

Have fun!
    sailonset
    Gold Member
    Gold Member

Post by sailonset »

Hi Jay,
    Some fine ideas there. That gutter is amazing. My engine room hatch had been enlarged when repowered with a Yanmar. Mostly neatly done, but missing the gutter in some spots. I'm planning to make channels out of glass formed over a male mold. Then glass it all together. The PO had a full enclosure, so wasn't worried about water. The drawers in aft cabin something to consider when I go to poke and measure tomorrow.
    IMG_0274x1200.jpg
    Hope ours look as clean as yours down the line.
    Best,
    dge
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
    motthediesel
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

What’s that tank next to the engine in that picture, fuel? Do you still have the waste tank in there too?

Tom
    sailonset
    Gold Member
    Gold Member

Post by sailonset »

Hi Tom,
    Right next to the Yannie? Is the floor, aka hull. The waste tank is hidden to the right. Fuel tank is under the cockpit with a round access hatch. Water on the port side, tucked under just like the waste.
    dge
    motthediesel
    Gold Member
    Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Oh, OK, I see now, the small picture on my phone made it confusing to me. I was asking because we’re removing our waste tank on that side (we’re converting to a composting head) and replacing it with a 23 gal fuel day tank. Not easy to wiggle it in there!

Tom
    sailonset
    Gold Member
    Gold Member

Post by sailonset »

It does sort of look like the top of a tank. I'm sure it's really tight down there without the hatch enlargement we have. This one will need some work and is not as easy to open, but lots of room down there. What did I know; it was the first 27FC I'd ever seen!
    motthediesel
    Gold Member
    Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Yeah, that messed up hatch is one of the only things we didn’t like about “Moby Dick”. But it wouldn’t have stopped us from buying it — if you hadn’t beaten us to it! 😉

Tom
    Ambler27FC
    Gold Member
    Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

If you have an aft cabin, my previous owner did a very smart thing. They built a centerline bookshelf that rests against the transom in the aft cabin. The legs rest between the center cushion so that the cushions didn't need to be modified. The bookshelf is angled aft so that the removable cushion that completes the sleeping area leans against it creating a cover for the shelves and center-line bench seat. On trips I stores clothes and other personal effects.

Not an option if you are too tall for the left/right bunks, but otherwise exceptional storage if you sleep in the back cabin and live in the front cabin.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”