• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Nissan LD6-78 pre-heat problem

Albin's "power cruisers"
Randall
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: North fort myers,fl

Nissan LD6-78 pre-heat problem

Post by Randall »

My ‘86 Albin 27 FC has a Nissan LD6-78 diesel. The pre-heat light does not turn off after engine start. For approx. the last 200 hrs. Of operation it takes three tries to get engine started and the light and buzzer always turned off. Sorry to bother you folks but I need help on where to start. The Nissan forum or Hull Truth were no help. Wiring is dry and solid. Thanks in advance. Randall

1986 Albin 27 FC. “Meridian”
North Fort Myers, Fl
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Re: Nissan LD6-78 pre-heat problem

Post by TorreyWP »

I have the same engine Randall but I do not have a preheat light so forgive my initial questions. Mine is a 1985.

How do you activate the glow plugs to pre heat? Do you have a separate button you hold or turn the key in the opposite direction?

How did the light operate prior to this issue? When you activate the glow plugs/preheat circuit a light is lit on your dash panel to indicate the circuit has power?

The buzzer I am familiar with, that indicates overheat or loss of oil pressure so once things going on start up, that goes off. If you are having trouble starting from cold, you could have an issue with the glow plug/preheat circuit and that can be diagnosed pretty easily with a digital multimeter. I can help, just want to be sure I understand how the light works in relation to the system.
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
Randall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Randall »

Thanks Torrey, Turning ignition key to the left initiates pre-heat and adjacent red light glows. Turn key to right is ignition and red light stays on and buzzer is activated usually for about 5 seconds and both light and buzzer go out. This engine normally takes three tries before starting and both buzzer and light go out. Engine runs smooth and to temperature (150 degree) with good oil pressure. A picture enclosed if it works this time. Randall
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
davem554
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Nassau Bay, Tx

Post by davem554 »

On my 86 with the ld28 the red light is for the buzzer for oil pressure. You minght check both sensors on the rear of the block and near the thermostat housing..
There is also a device I’ve seen that shuts down the engine with overheating.
Hope this helps , the LD 28 is a great engine IMO.
Dave Marks
Randall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Randall »

Bullseye Dave and Torrey, it was one of the water temp. sensors near the thermo. housing. (lower of the two}. Now the hunt for a replacement begins. Many thanks to you both. Randall

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”