• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

4D61 front hose

Albin's "power cruisers"
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

4D61 front hose

Post by motthediesel »

While rooting around in the engine room today I found a problem. I was shutting myself in on the starboard side of the engine to see how much room there between the engine top and the hatch. I wanted to see how much room there is for sound proofing. (Not much!) I'm not as flexible as I once was :wink: so my head was crammed in near the front of the engine, where I saw an odd deposit on the head. It looked like ground rubber flocking blasted on to it.

Well, it had to come from somewhere, and a little examination showed that the problem was that the v belt has been rubbing on the molded hose that connects the expansion tank to the water pump.

I'm sure it didn't always rub together like that, so I'm going to have to find out why it started doing it. You can't see in the picture, but there is a pretty deep gouge cut into that hose, and it probably should be replaced. Does anyone here know a source for a replacement? If not, I'll have to make one up from standard bends and connector tubes, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. The original is a complicated molded part, and I'm sure it won't be easy to find.

Tom
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Re: 4D61 front hose

Post by Sprig1 »

I think the hose is unavailable. Search the for the people that bought The boat Mary Joe I think. Their hose went when they were on a trip a yard fixed it with brass fittings somehow. The pictures are there. I just haven't gotten to fixing mine yet. You must have a different alternator than me. I was able to adjust the hose clamp to put it right across from the belt. So it would rub the clamp instead of the belt instead of the hose. I was lucky I found another engine so I cannibalizes parts from it. Good luck.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

There is a part number showing on the hose - try typing it into google and see what comes up.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

That’s a good idea. I doubt that Lehman had that hose custom made, chances are it is also used in some other application, somewhere.

I’ll need to use a mirror though, there’s no way to get my fat head in there, and it would be less that the minimum focusing range of my phone.

Tom
wlasci
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Slidell, LA

Post by wlasci »

One thing that I have found to be handy in viewing hard to reach places is a fiber optic borehole set up for a cell phone. I think it cost around $22.00. I replaced all hoses when the boat was new to me. Found all I needed at O'Reileys.
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Yeah, I’m just going to put together something that will work. I’m making up all the connections with silicone turns I’m getting from Pegasus Racing Supply. The straight sections I’ll do with aluminum tube.

Tom

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”