• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Geodesic Dinghy

Albin's "power cruisers"
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solon, ME

Geodesic Dinghy

Post by honza »

Does anybody use, or tried to use, a geodesic dinghy https://www.gaboats.com/ in conjunction with A 25? What is your experience? Thanks for sharing.
Slow Poke A25 #1110
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Geodesic Dinghy

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

No, but it looks interesting. More like a canoe than a dinghy, but suppose could also be built as a kayak. Would be easy to lift & stow on a hard top roof. Fabric cover over ribs & 'longerons' is more like old timey aircraft construction. Scaled down to 1 inch = 1 foot & the technique might work well to frame up a scale model A25 in balsa & fiberglass. Especially the use of a "strongback" fixture. Someday...
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

It looks way to fragile to be used as a dinghy. The Fisher line of aircraft was built like that and were great in the air but any point load would cause trouble. I would consider them more like a novelty than a practical boat. I guess it would be safe up on the roof but even getting in and out of it in some swell and have it contact the swim platform... We are super happy with the Mercury Hypalon 230 dinghy we got last year. We hang it in a reduced size Harbor Men Marine sling and it is actually useful as a ginormous fender when you are getting into a cramped marina...
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

Those are interesting boats with a lot of good qualities, but I too would worry about their durability in rough dinghy service. You might want to look at this thread from the WoodenBoat forum:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread. ... lite-Boats

For our boat, we acquired a Grumman dinghy -- aluminum, and very (83#) light. Designed by Philip Rhodes, they are very well regarded, and they can be sailed, motored, or rowed. It should be durable on rough beaches, or when tied up in "tender scrums" dockside.

Tom

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”