• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 27 FC - Fuel tank question

Albin's "power cruisers"
mhannam
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Oriental, NC

Albin 27 FC - Fuel tank question

Post by mhannam »

I recently bought a 1986 Albin 27FC (woot!) and am still getting my arms around some of the basics.

I've probably put 16 hours on the boat and noticed today that only the port side fuel tank is being drained. I would have expected the tanks to be used evenly. The valves for both tanks and the return valves are all on.

Is this normal? I'm worried that I'll get air in the lines when the port side tank empties.

Also, my fuel gauge is not working and I plan on addressing this. How do you calculate fuel in two tanks with one gauge?

Thanks! Matt
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: Albin 27 FC - Fuel tank question

Post by tego »

Matt, you'll notice the switch at the helm panel labeled "port" and "stbd".Switching it left or right will give you a reading for the port and stbd tanks. If the gauge isn't working, check the ground connection at the senders and at the gauge. It gets kinda funky sometimes. I've replaced both of my senders and the gauge myself. If they're original, they're probably bad or going bad. make sure the senders are compatible with the gauge. Personally, I run one tank at a time and make sure the return is to the same tank you are drawing from. Give us some specs on your boat - What engine and some pics would be great (I don't post pics "cause I mess up every time I try). If you get to E. TN, give me a shout or PM and we can talk "Albin". I think I've got one of the nicest 27FC's on the planet and I love it! I've done a LOT of improvements on her in the last 6 years. Ben
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

I have the two tank configuration. I was advised to only have the valves for one tank open at a time. It's definitive. The fuel system will pull and return from/to the path of least resistance. You could also use the supply from one tank and return to the other if you wanted to transfer fuel. Agree with Tego - fuel gauges are always relative.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

Also, when driving in waves I (conservatively) like to maintain at least half a tank to make sure the pick-up tube does not have an opportunity to find air.
garybodie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hampton, VA

Post by garybodie »

I'm also relatively new, Albin 27 Fisherman model with Westerbeke 100. Where is the return flow valve switch? btw, my fuel gauges weren't working either, and cleaning the contact didn't help. Replacing the sender on the port side did work. But there's one last machine screw on the starboard sender that I just can't get to budge, the head is totally stripped. May have to grind it off.

--Gary
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

hi...as above I only run one tank at a time. Best (for me) was to measure tanks and calculate gallons per inch and then use a dipstick to know exactly how much is in tanks. My fuel gauge, as stated, is toggled P or S and even though newer than original they read E but still hold 7.5 gal each...so I think of this as my reserve..at least 3 hours at 2000rpm. Note: a very rough crossing of Juan de Fuca resulted in both of my fuel pick-up tubes snapping off in the tank..what fun. I talked to the manufacturer and he said he had never heard of this happening before..so if you have a sudden loss of fuel delivery in rough seas..add loss of pick-ups to the list of possibles.
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

"Note: a very rough crossing of Juan de Fuca resulted in both of my fuel pick-up tubes snapping off in the tank..what fun."

I'd like to hear more about that! Having not crossed JdF, yet, I can only imagine the pandemonium. How did you figure it out? How did you repair it? And then bleeding the system in a "very rough crossing"?

Yikes! Maybe another thread, in your spare time.
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by coolchange »

left Pt. Townsend for Victoria with close to perfect timing for wind and tide...and avoiding Pt. Wilson and a stable fog bank on WA side. Wind supposed to be +\- 15kt However about 1/2 way the wind got really cold and kicked up to become a little more than messy and the ebb opposing yielding waves going all directions ( when towed in the live weather feed had winds steady at 32kts)...so bouncing along with no worries all of a sudden...no more fuel. Called for help on VHF (and to warn traffic ) they helped get C-tow (free for Boat US tow) While waiting (and bouncing...there was absolutely nothing left above floor level anywhere on the boat...things stored in sink were even on the deck) I changed fuel filter (racor) thinking mud in tanks got stirred up..but the filter was clean...never got to bleeding till in port ...when no fuel would pump it was decided the fuel pump was failed..so ordered a new one from mainland...but no dice (still no fuel)..pulled pick up and found it gone...jerry rigged a tube onto one tank and all was fine for the duration of the 12 day trip.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Yes, I thought a tow might be involved. That is a lot to digest in calm waters tied to a dock within walking distance of a pub. Fortunately, you didn't let it ruin a perfectly good cruise!

We got caught in standing waves while entering Hood Canal one fine and lovely summer day a few years back. Like you said, the decks were cleared. One second I am sitting next to the Starfleer Commander pondering how to deal with the anchor that had left its stowage and was banging on the side of the hull. The next second I am sitting on the sole above the fuel tank. What just happened?! The old MD17C just kept ticking though.

Thanks for replying. It's always somethin'!
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

Garybodie, there should be two hoses coming off each tank, each with a supply and return valve. I guess a three way return valve may also be possible.

It would have taken me a month to guess at broken pick-up tubes! Wow. Nozzles were incompatible metal for the tanks? Hard to imagine rust in the tank.
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by coolchange »

This is the remains of one of the pickups..the hard black tube (facing 6 o'clock) was a much longer, 11 plus inches, heavy wall nylon tube...I'm guessing 30+ years of flexing in a vat of Diesel fuel just got to be too much...no failure at any of the fittings.

RE taking forever to find the problem...this mechanic was highly trained and super competent..it was text-book follow the path diagnostic (did get a fuel pump then went to the supply path)

fullsizeoutput_be6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

I had forgot those tubes were plastic. Just replaced my tanks, and remembered a warning about using the wrong type of fittings. My tubes stop just short of the bottom with a tapered end. Hope that rough trip shook all of the gremlins off your boat for a while. Darned good luck with that mechanic.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”