• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A/C install and Group 27 batteries under fridge on port side?

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

A/C install and Group 27 batteries under fridge on port side?

Post by tribologist »

I'm getting ready to order a 10k BTU Dometic A/C unit and put that in the hole for the heater unit.

I'm thinking that I am loading up to much weight on the starboard side (lot of that is lard too..) so I probably need to shift something over to the other side. Has anyone fitted batteries in the icebox hole. My cad model indicate that it is plausible but the model it is not 100% accurate. It takes some effort to remove the fridge sliders and to lift the batteries out of the location under the helm so I thought I check if anyone have done it.

On a sidenote.. the model is available in Onshape.com with a free account if someone like to build one. It uses sliders from McMaster-Carr. We have been very happy with it. I think the electric fridge was about $350.

Ulf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: A/C install and Group 27 batteries under fridge on port side?

Post by dkirsop »

My boat had 2 6V golf cart batteries in this location when I bought it. They were below a slide out shelf that supported the Engels fridge. It worked well but I did not need the extra capacity, or weight, so I removed the batteries once they reached the end of their life cycle. With an AC unit on board you will definitely need the additional capacity.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

The A/C is on shore power only but that’s sounds promising. I will make a mock-up battery and take a look. I would need a better shelf than the 1/8 plywood thats in there. (Or fiberglass both sides of it)
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I will make a mock-up battery and take a look. I would need a better shelf than the 1/8 plywood thats in there.
Yeah, you'll want to reinforce that shelf. 6V golf cart batteries are 75 lbs each. I had to do that, adding 1x2 slats underneath the plywood when I relocated my batteries, 3 group 27 12V dual purpose AGMs from the original location next to the engine to the starboard bench seat lazarette locker as part of the project to install a 20 gallon holding tank.

Nice rendering by the way.
Head tank sketch1.jpg
DSCN3419.JPG
DSCN3463.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”