• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

27FC in Groton CT for sale

Albin's "power cruisers"
Jmk2000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

27FC in Groton CT for sale

Post by Jmk2000 »

Anyone on here know anything about the Groton boat that’s for sale. It’s got a Perkins Diesel which I’ve heard are good engines but I’m guessing there was an engine change out at some point. Boat looks pretty good, wish I had the money to buy it.
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Re: 27FC in Groton CT for sale

Post by motthediesel »

That boat has been for sale for a while. We didn't go look at it when we were shopping because I was put off by the engine. That is not the old Perkins 4-107 (great, if a little leaky :wink: ) series, but the newer Prima model built on the British Leyland diesel block, basically a Land Rover engine.

That might just be my personal prejudice coming into play, and I'm sure you can find lots of owners that have had good luck with that type. Bear in mind that they are an overhead cam engine, so they do need their belts replaced on schedule. Also, I believe that engine actually uses two separate cog belts, one for the cam, and another for the injection pump.

On the plus side, it uses well-proven Bosch injection components, those are well made and easy for parts and service.

Tom
sailonset
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Onset, MA

Post by sailonset »

This is what my broker (for sailboat) had pased on to me:

Here's what I learned from the broker listing the Albin 27 in Groton, CT:

Engine 60 hp. 8 knot boat. We knew that. Engine not original to boat. hourmeter shows 3,000 hours. It stopped working two years ago. It shows hours since boat was new (includes hours that were on original engine). Owner estimates that he put 50 hours on new engine since hourmeter stopped working and that there are under 2,000 hours on new engine.

Electronics old.

Some suspect wiring that ought to get removed. It leads to battery charger, inverter, and outlets.

The broker says he believes the boat to be in good shape, needing nothing other than new electronics and wiring clean-up. When I asked him what he'd do to the boat if he were to buy it, and he mentioned only the above.

dge
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

7104351_20190607080008111_1_XLARGE.jpg
I question the wisdom of adding an inverter in the companionway. Additionally curious why it is necessary. The main panel has both AC and DC switches...
7104351_20190607080019393_1_XLARGE.jpg
I'm curious as to what the thru-hull is on the left? The one on the right has a gate valve. Is this a transducer? My new boat has a thru-hull transducer that I'm not convinced I'm keeping.

The above aside plus comments on the engine, it looks like a great boat. Clean layout and not a lot of "personalizing" that a future owner may wish to redo. Still, given the proportion of value the engine contributes means that's a big consideration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Randall
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: North fort myers,fl

Post by Randall »

The extra thru hull looks like a Lorance transducer. I have one on my 86 FC which quit working and I switched to a thru hull.

Concerning the engine. I had a similar situation when I bought mine. It came with the Nissan 78hp diesel with 2900 hours. My original thought was no but there were no other 27s available so I had the engine checked. I also found the engine had the heart of a lion and was known to go 10,000 hours. I took the chance assuming I use about 100 hours per year. Entering my 4th year, the decision to purchase was the right one. My wife and I have had 10 years of enjoyment.
Just sayin, Randall

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”