• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 transducer installation

Albin's "power cruisers"
Randall
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: North fort myers,fl

A27 transducer installation

Post by Randall »

My 86 Albin FC has lost it's thru hull transducer. I may be able to clean and repair once out of the water for the season, but not practical at present as I'm in the water until October. Anyone use a shoot-thru transducer siliconed to the bilge floor. I get a good reading about mid-ship. I just cleaned by bilge and can keep the surface reasonable dry. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Randall
SkipD
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marblehead, MA

Re: A27 transducer installation

Post by SkipD »

In my 85 FC the transducer is located inboard in the bilge, between the cabin closet floor opening and the engine. Made a small box (sealed in epoxy) bottom shaped to the bilge, attached with 4200. The box lid, which has a rubber gasket, is screwed on, the transducer is attached to the lid. I fill the box with about a cup of water in the spring, drain it in the fall. Works great.
Have tried with other boats in the past to directly silicone attach the transducer without luck.

Thanks
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

That is one heck of an idea! If I ever have to swap mine out...
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

I did an inboard transducer on a sailboat years ago. I used a flanged plastic hemisphere made just for that purpose. Bonded to the hull with epoxy, it was then filled with vegetable oil through a small hole in top and sealed. I never had to touch it again, it worked great.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

I have been using an in-hull "siliconed" transducer for six years now. I located it in the keel, just under the ER forward bulkhead. Make sure the surface is CLEAN and doesn't have any FG bumps on it that will leave an air pocket in the silicone. Squeeze a blob of pure silicone on the surface but don't move the tube around much or you'll get some air bubbles in it. Put the x'ducer down on the blob on one edge and roll the x'ducer into the blob with downward pressure against the hull. You can immediately check the operation before the silicone sets and re-do the install if it acts up. I installed mine in this location because my hull is cored from the top of the keel to the gunnel. Mine is an '87 and the earlier hulls are not cored like mine so you can install the unit just about anywhere you will have NO turbulence / air bubbles under the hull when you're underway. Make sure the x'ducer is perfectly vertical when you mount it. You cannot mount it where the factory installed a wood block in the hull for backing a thru-hull. They won't shoot thru wood. You can check out your proposed location by putting your x'tucer in a water-filled small plastic baggie and hold it against the hull where you want it. Good luck! Ben
Randall
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: North fort myers,fl

Post by Randall »

Thanks for your ideas. I have used a few thru hull’s in the past siliconed directly to the hull but in this case the surface will be wet. Is there an epoxy I can use in a wet environment? Thanks again, Randall
davem554
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Nassau Bay, Tx

Post by davem554 »

Randall wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:25 am My 86 Albin FC has lost it's thru hull transducer. I may be able to clean and repair once out of the water for the season, but not practical at present as I'm in the water until October. Anyone use a shoot-thru transducer siliconed to the bilge floor. I get a good reading about mid-ship. I just cleaned by bilge and can keep the surface reasonable dry. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Randall
[/quote

I have an 86 FC and use an Airmar P79 in hull transduce with my Garman 840 SX. Works great.
Dave Marks

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”