• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Desert Albin's rear canvas cover

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Desert Albin's rear canvas cover

Post by tribologist »

Hi, Kenny J and I are drooling over your canvas. Is it openable in the corners? Do you have some more images you could share? Im on and off on making a new for Driftless but Kenny need one for his classic A25

Any chance you still have the patterns?

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Desert Albins rear canvas cover

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Hi Ulf,

No, I didn't save the patterns. But Sailrite.com has great how-to videos on these types of projects.

https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make-an ... tain-Video

They sell this DuraScrim type of plastic reinforced patterning material used to make a pattern, which is what we did. Sailrite is your go to source on tricks of the trade, even if you don't buy materials from them. I didn't take photos of the patterning process, but here's some illustrations from Sailrite
Durascrim pattern material.jpg
Marking pattern for seam allowance.jpg
https://www.sailrite.com/Dura-Skrim-2-P ... aterial-74

What I did was essentially copy the stock canvas & kept the existing single bow frame. That was mostly because I wanted to retain the option of installing the sail rig, and still be able to fold up the whole thing against the back of the wheel house & open up the cockpit seating area.

Your friend may want to do something different, like using a two bow frame and end up with something like this
DSCN1525.JPG
This was our old stock design canvas with no side windows or way to open up the sides, plus the canvas itself was getting ratty.
DSCN2050.JPG
The back window was shot, & besides was smaller than we wanted.
DSCN2040.JPG
I used the idea in this video for making sailboat companionway hatch covers to make screened in side & rear windows with outer covering flap

https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make-a- ... over-Video

The black screens are Phifertex sun screens which are sewn into place. So say it's hot out & mosquitos & bugs are around. The entire cabin & cockpit can be screened in (with removable bug screens velcroed over the forward deck hatch and cockpit hardtop roof hatch opening)

What if it's cold and/or raining? I took clear vinyl window material & sewed velcro around the edges so the can be attached on the inside when needed. I did have to modify the one to go over the back window, attaching it on the outside instead of inside, otherwise it leaks some when it's raining. The outer flaps & window covers gives complete privacy when needed, and it our case helps keep out the strong desert sun.

So I ended up with this for side windows & flaps
DSCN2100.JPG
They can unsnap in the front & unzip on the back edge and be rolled up kept in place with a snap strap
DSCN2106.JPG
Same with the back window, which I made wider than the one that came with the boat

DSCN2101.JPG
DSCN2102.JPG
DSCN2103.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Desert Albins rear canvas cover

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I would add that my total cost for supplies & materials for that project added up to $888. That included the Sunbrella fabric, patterning material, velcro, zippers, snaps, window vinyl, thread & miscellaneous supplies. On the thread, a 1750 yd spool of Helios PTFE UV resistant thread alone cost $110, of which I still have quite a bit left to use on other projects as needed. Compare that to any estimates for materials + labor to have it done professionally. It's a lot of work & I expect any canvas shop would charge $2K or more. At the time I didn't have a walking foot sewing machine & borrowed one from a friend. Later I picked up a used Thompson Mini Walker for $325 that I used for other projects including making new bench seat and helm seat cushions.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Re: Desert Albin's rear canvas cover

Post by tribologist »

Thanks!! Those are great pictures. We did the cushions in Driftless with sailrites materials snd they are a great resource. Im seriously considering their walking foot machine before starting. I putting A/C in this spring so it might have to wait.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Sailrite machines are essentially upgraded clones of the Thompson Mini Walker. Their lowest price LS1 Basic goes for $795.
sailritemachine.jpg
One advantage of the upgrades incorporated in the Sailrite machine is their improved flywheel & clutch mechanism
Power Plus®Flywheel
The Ultrafeed BASIC Package includes the Sailrite® Power Plus® Flywheel, which has double the power and is twice the size of a traditional flywheel for more slow speed power and control. It enables you to sew heavy and thick assemblies at comfortably slow speeds for precise stitching. Powering the machine is a 110V AC motor (6,600 rpm at 1.5 amps) and a cogged belt and pulley drive system. Operate using the fully grounded, variable speed, electronic foot control.

To read more about our oversized balance wheels and how they help power the machine, read our blog, ”Size Matters: The Importance of Balance Wheels.”

Patented Posi-Pin® Clutching System
Sailrite’s patented Posi-Pin Clutching System (Patent #7438009) provides 100% power transfer from the motor to the upper drive shaft, ultimately powering the needle. As one of the most important features on our Ultrafeed Sewing Machines, this unique system eliminates clutch slippage, which robs sewing machines of power when sewing heavy, hard-to-penetrate fabrics. It also makes winding bobbins quick and easy. Pulling the pin out makes the machine stop working, which is an excellent added safety feature. When coupled with Sailrite’s special balance wheel with cogged timing belt, our machines outperform all others on the market.
https://www.sailrite.com/Sailrite-Ultra ... ng-Machine

Here's what my used Thompson looks like, which I paid $325 for off C-List. But it's straight stitch only, no zigzag capability, and of course lacks the upgraded drive system of the Sailrites. There's a lot of other types out there, like Juki & Consew among others.
00e0e_6PkOzXOfeKv_600x450.jpg
Here's a Reliable Barracuda 200ZW, for $499 new off this sewingmachinelplus website, free shipping, which looks like another Thompson clone. Except this one also does zigzag stitching, which mine doesn't. Zigzag is most useful for sailmaking, but not really necessary for doing canvas & upholstery projects. Carrying case extra,
200ZW_main.jpg
https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/sewi ... 000u33.php
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Try eBay. I bought an old "Domestic" brand from my neighbor for $5. It handles heavy material including canvas (according to the manual) and has numerous stitch patterns, does button holes, etc. From what I've been told by more than one accomplished seamstress, the heavy duty machines normally don't do the fine work very well, which echos DA's statement about his Thompson not doing a zigzag, but it looks like our Domestic machine can do both. I don't think it has a walking foot, but there's a fabric feeding mechanism on the deck that moves fabric along. Sorry, I've never operated a sewing machine before.

I had to do some electrical work to the foot pedal and my wife had to figure out its operation. We finally started sewing with it this week. Works great! I'll be making a new canvas cover for the dog house skylight in the next 2 weeks or so. I'll let you know how it works out. Given my dearth of experience, I expect lots of user error!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Suggest investing in UV resistant thread. Canvas cover for the wheelhouse skylight should be fairly simple & good project to learn on. We inherited canvas covers from previous owners for windshield & side windows attached with button snaps. Another easy project made easier with the aid of an edge binding attachment. They help a lot with keeping the doghouse from turning into a hothouse while docked or at anchor on warm sunny days.
Also covers for the teak grab rails will help maintain the finish. I refinished the grab rails with varnish over epoxy resin three years ago & they still look good.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:36 am Suggest investing in UV resistant thread. Canvas cover for the wheelhouse skylight should be fairly simple & good project to learn on.
I ordered materials yesterday from Sailrite. I thought eBay might be cheaper, but nope. Plus, it was convenient, and I was able to call them about some hardware. I got the UV resistant thread.
DesertAlbin736 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:36 am I refinished the grab rails with varnish over epoxy resin three years ago & they still look good.
This is a great way to do finish on wood. I refinished a teak fighting chair for a Hatteras sportfisher several years ago. Two coats of epoxy, then two coats automotive clear coat. Automotive finishes are very durable and loaded with UV absorbers. A quality automotive finish (Axxo Nobel's Glasurit in this case) can provide a 10 year finish. Don't take my word for it. I learned it from these guys:
https://www.releasemarine.com/
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”