• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Trailer wobbles for shallow water

Albin's "power cruisers"
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solon, ME

Trailer wobbles for shallow water

Post by honza »

Here is a couple of pictures of what works for me on shallow sub-standard ramps. When loading/unloading the boat, the deep belly actually rides up and down over the wobbles. No need for keel rollers other than for the bow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Slow Poke A25 #1110
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Trailer wobbles for shallow water

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Wobbles? Does the boat center itself on the trailer well? I like that arrangement, except I'd consider adding a single roller at the back end to support the keel. The keel should take most of the weight rather than rollers or bunks. I also like where your trailer's frame starts to taper toward the tongue much further back then mine, which in my case has caused all manner of expensive headaches. In our case the frames running parallel all the way up to the bow helps facilitate stowing mast and boom on the trailer frames.

Brings back memories of bottom paint jobs.
DSCN3611.JPG
0407161622.jpg
0418160938.jpg
20180806_192051.jpg

Well, it's off to the lake this morning. Tomorrow we serve as "committee boat" for our sailing club's annual Valentine's Day weekend "Sweetheart Race" where the distaff side of crews skipper their boats. The guys can serve as crew/rail meat but the gals are in charge & do the steering.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

When I only had wobbles on my trailer I noticed the hull had minor distortion when stored for winter on the trailer. Nothing major, just doors not closing freely and floor panels being pinched. It all went back to normal once the boat was in the water. Installing the keel rollers took care of the problem and everything has been fine since. It also gives me peace of mind knowing that the keel rollers provide firm support when towing the boat over long distances on less than perfect roads.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by honza »

When boat is in the right position at rest on the trailer, the wobbles touch the hull with a limited force - only so much that I am able to pull one away from the hull by hand (~1/8 of the total force for the set, say, ~30# per wobble, ~240# per set).
The keel rests on a plank and wood blocks. Plank only would probably be better. Most of the weight is supported by the keel. The keel rollers, other than for the bow, would not do anything good in my case, as most of the keel is afloat till the trailer starts coming out of water. I do not need to pull forward on the dry - as some people do with powerboats.
Slow Poke A25 #1110
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

honza wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:39 am When boat is in the right position at rest on the trailer, the wobbles touch the hull with a limited force - only so much that I am able to pull one away from the hull by hand (~1/8 of the total force for the set, say, ~30# per wobble, ~240# per set).
The keel rests on a plank and wood blocks. Plank only would probably be better. Most of the weight is supported by the keel. The keel rollers, other than for the bow, would not do anything good in my case, as most of the keel is afloat till the trailer starts coming out of water. I do not need to pull forward on the dry - as some people do with powerboats.
Hard to tell from your pictures, but how high is the skeg from the road surface? Mine is on single keel rollers, however the rearmost two sets are crushing under the weight of the boat. I’m considering going to a thick plank for the last two sets of keel rollers to get rid of the crushed ones. Did you just attaché tour plank with u-bolts?
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by honza »

I can not measure the skeg (or maybe better, the rudder strut) elevation accuretely now, as the trailer is jacked up. Make it just low enough, whatever you feel comfortable with, not hitting the ground. You probably have some idea by now.

The planks are attached to L sections on their side, which in turn are attached to the crossbeams with U bolts. With U channel crossbeams, you can attach them just to the top flange - the force here is minimal.
Slow Poke A25 #1110

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”