• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Paint colors A25...Ideas??

Albin's "power cruisers"
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Paint colors A25...Ideas??

Post by Dieselram94 »

I am in desperate need of repainting my Albin. It came to me with a very poorly done paint job that is coming off. Top decks, the gelcoat is in poor condition. I know for sure I don’t want just white on tops and bottom. I’m thinking white topsides and dark blue hull with a stripe of some color just below the rub rail. Any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Re: Paint colors A25...Ideas??

Post by Bob Noodat »

I ... I thought white with blue bits was the only colour permitted, isn't it? Oh sure, there are a few odd people who do blue with white bits, insane!

In my young days as a commercial diver, when I had a lot of contact with seamen (sp?), I sailed with some old deckhands (sp?) who would not go near a green vessel; they believed green was an unlucky colour for a boat. I think that is nonsense of course, touch wood.

My suggestion would be white with blue bits. But to be different you could choose a different shade of white to everyone else.

Looks like a nice clean boat. And you have a bow ladder!

PS. If that paint is coming off, you'll have to take it all off before repainting it, or you'll be throwing good paint after bad. But then, you can paint it any colour white you like!
Last edited by Bob Noodat on Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

We repainted our topsides around this time last year. Went with Pettit deck paint in white semi gloss one part acrylic. Luckily the original hull gelcoat is still in near pristine condition so we didn't have to mess with that, just keep it polished & waxed. Can't advise what's best for you, except I would think might be hard to cover that dark blue with a lighter color. Good luck with whatever you decide.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Can't go wrong with white/offwhite deck and blue topsides:
https://www.hinckleyyachts.com/models/p ... c-boat-37/
(need to replace the rubrail though, stay tuned more details on this later)

I'm planning on repainting my boat the same color as the picnic boat above. A friend of mine, 3rd generation shipwright, has recommended some primer and paint to me, not Awlgrip or any of the other really expensive yachty stuff. This is industrial, commercial grade stuff like you would find at the navy shipyard. Still looks shiny. A plus is it is polyester, just like our boats. That might not work for you though, unless you could sand down what's on the topsides now. I'm assuming your current paint is epoxy, but that might not be true if it's peeling off.

I forget the name of what he recommended, and he also recommended an epoxy based product as well, which would alleviate the compatibility concerns. I think we're in the neighborhood of $100/gallon, including catalysts/reducers. Last time I bought paint was probably 6 years ago, 2 gallons topcoat plus the catalyst & reducer for a Nimble Kodiak (28 footer). It was $700 from Paxton Marine Supply, and that was with a (different) friend's discount, so I was pretty interested in what my shipwright buddy was recommending.

I just saw him today (bought some white oak to redo the cockpit floor joists), and I will see him again on Sunday. I'll write down the product names this time and post back to you. I do remember that the epoxy product was available at a national chain, commercial division. Not Sherwin Williams, but someone like that, Spectrum Paints I believe.

Circling back to the rubrail, I'm planning to remake my rubrail out of "teak," possibly with a stainless trim piece, similar to the Hinckley. OK you got me, I plan to do the first run out of cypress (locally grown wood, I have a source for it) and stain it to match teak. I'm experienced enough to know I'll waste a lot of wood until I get the process/template down, so I will do cypress in the short term, for literally $1000's less than teak. From 20 feet away, nobody will know. Anyone I'm willing to get within 20 feet of (or whose willing to get that close to me) won't care.

PS: anyone who needs a used blue rubrail, keep me in mind. I'll post it in the "sale/trade" section in a few days, once I get it off the boat. Free to good home, just pay shipping.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

Yeah, my kids always tease me about "Dad's color scheme". Just like that Hinckley (except for the $$$) -- white deck, dark blue topsides, white bootstripe, red bottom. Our new (to us) A27FC will be getting the treatment as soon as weather allows.

The only downside is the dark hull does get hot in the sun, but we have a short "hot season" here in NNY.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

motthediesel wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:14 pm The only downside is the dark hull does get hot in the sun, but we have a short "hot season" here in NNY.
The things we do for fashion....
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

nebulatech wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:50 pm
Circling back to the rubrail, I'm planning to remake my rubrail out of "teak," possibly with a stainless trim piece, similar to the Hinckley. OK you got me, I plan to do the first run out of cypress (locally grown wood, I have a source for it) and stain it to match teak.
I don't know how available it is in SC, but up here in the Northeast, a lot of us use "woodchuck teak" -- black locust. Harder than hell, and so rot-resistant the old timers used to say that it will last "two years longer than stone". :lol:
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solon, ME

Post by honza »

Only two colors are acceptable for painting a boat: white and black. And only a fool would paint one black. At least that’s what Nathanael Greene Herreshoff believed. Herreshoff, the “Wizard of Bristol,” was a naval architect, marine engineer, inventor and shipbuilder, and perhaps the greatest yacht designer of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Included in his catalog of more than 2,000 designs are the successful America’s Cup defenders in six consecutive challenges; Herreshoff skippered one of them himself, the 124-foot Vigilant in 1893. :-)
Slow Poke A25 #1110
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Ah yes, the quotable Capn’ Nat! Not to be outdone, his son L Francis gave us his term for the material used to make those new-fangled fiberglass boats — “frozen snot”. :lol:
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

The stock OEM A25 deck & cabin trunk color was closer to cream, and the hull a bit off white. My guess is the lighter colors are likely more UV resistant. This was the 1980 Montgomery 15 pocket cruiser sailboat I owned from 2001 to 2005. It's changed hands a couple times since but as of last year was parked in the storage yard at Lake Pleasant. When I had it I trailered it back east to Delaware & NJ in 2002, Phoenix to Monterey, CA in 2002 & '03, and to Marina Del Rey to sail out to Catalina Island in '03. That's the original off white/cream color gelcoat, although it won't take a shine like it used to. Jerry Montgomery started the M15 hull number series at 101 and this one is 102, the 2nd one ever popped out of the mold.
20180211_105225.jpg
20180211_105929.jpg
This is what she looked like in 2005, the year that I sold it & moved on to a Catalina 22. I'd added new tanbark sails, ran halyards & jib downhaul line to the cabin top, bought a new motor.
IMG_0142.JPG
And on St. Leonard's Creeek, MD (a tributary of Patuxent River) in 2002
IMG_0916.JPG
Bright white deck & cabin trunk & OEM hull color I think looks good. Dark color might do well in cool climates, but down here hot sun & UV rays could wreak havoc on dark paint. Blue bottom paint would look good, but I think the red makes a nice contrast.
20190505_121641_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

Thanks for the replies everyone!!!!!
It’s been a crazy busy weekend, but I did make it over to Hamilton marine and got a price on Alexseal paint...a bit of sticker shock! Lol!
Anyways, I love the color scheme of that picnic boat! I think that’s the color scheme I’m going with, as I think going mostly white is just too much white. Lol
Love the dark blue! I’m thinking completely strip the hull, fair, prime, and Alexseal the hull, and a cheaper paint for the deck and possibly use the soft sand additive for the non skid areas...maybe...
Might not be needed as the original texture might be just fine. But really though, I’m treating this boat with no expense spared, so I might wimper about costs, but in the end I don’t really care. Lol
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I used Interlux Intergrip non skid paint on the non skid areas of side decks & cabin tops. Very satisfied with it. 2 qts should be sufficient for an A25.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

Sand in the paint? Only if you don't mind becoming the future DPO! Someone one day will be making a doll of you and sticking pins in it.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

Bob Noodat wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:06 am Sand in the paint? Only if you don't mind becoming the future DPO! Someone one day will be making a doll of you and sticking pins in it.
lol, no. It’s a non skid paint additive. I’ve heard excellent things about it. Not sure it’s needed though as the factory texture probably will probably print through the paint pretty good though. http://www.softsandrubber.com/
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:50 am I used Interlux Intergrip non skid paint on the non skid areas of side decks & cabin tops. Very satisfied with it. 2 qts should be sufficient for an A25.
How much of the factory texture printed through the paint?

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”