• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

The Lehman Ford-Peugeot connection

Albin's "power cruisers"
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

The Lehman Ford-Peugeot connection

Post by motthediesel »

While rooting around online, waiting for a break in the blizzard we are currently having, I came across this article, and I thought it might be of interest to the 4D61 owners here.

Ford ⇐ PSA (Peugeot) XD Series ⇐ Indenor XDP Range
(1972?-2003?)

The Ford-PSA-Peugeot XD series of diesel engines was sourced by Ford from Indenor through PSA Group’s PSA PowerTrain (Formerly Peugeot Citroën Moteurs). PSA had marketed the XDs very successfully to power several brands of generators, tractors, light trucks and automobiles including their own very popular Peugeot 504 series of vehicles (with XD90). In turn, Ford not only used these engines in their own vehicles such as the European Ford Granada, but Ford also supplied these engines to its subsidiaries, including Jaguar, Volvo, and Land Rover. Ford also supplied these engines through Ford Power Products to DNT, Lehman, Stratos, Vetus, and Volvo Penta where they were marinized.

Lehman 4D61 marinized from PSA (Peugeot) XD90 diesel engine like used in the Peugeot 504 automobile.

The XDs came in several 4 cylinder inline Displacements including 1.9L, 2.1L & 2.5L. The 1.9L had a bore of 88mm and was designated the XD88. The base engine for the marinized Volvo Penta MD21A, the 2.1L (2112cc) XD90 had a bore of 90mm. Indenor, who designed this series used slightly different model designations in their production, the XDP 4/88 & XDP 4/90 respectively. The 2.5L engine retained the same stroke as the XD90 but gained a larger bore of 93mm. The XD engines were also produced in six-cylinder inline versions like the XDP 6/90 which was used as the base engine for the Volvo Penta MD31. All these engines came in several versions depending on their application (Agriculture, Automotive, Industrial & Power generation) each with its own rating. Due to the popularity and commonality of these engines, most parts are readily available from numerous sources, including the various OEM’s where they were fitted into tractors, generators, light trucks, automobiles, and boats.

I've always wondered why Lehman originally turned to the Peugeot engine? Well, according to this, they were being sourced by Ford, who used the same engine in other products in their line. So in a way, they were just using another Ford engine, though this model was actuly built in France by Peugeot. That list gives us clues for more places to look for parts as well.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: The Lehman Ford-Peugeot connection

Post by WillieC »

Well, there you go! I'd keep my eyes peeled for a totalled low-mileage Jag-U-Ar and steal the engine. Interesting history on a lot of these marine engines.
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

WillieC wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:18 pm Well, there you go! I'd keep my eyes peeled for a totalled low-mileage Jag-U-Ar and steal the engine. Interesting history on a lot of these marine engines.
I suspect you'll have to go to Europe for your diesel Jag-Waarr, of that vintage anyway. However, Peugeot 504 wagons were imported into the States in significant numbers. I had one for a while in Oregon. It was probably about an '88. That was a million mile engine, with just a little maintenance. 2.1 litre IIRC.

Interesting information.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Wow! That's a nice shiny red Pug. Don't know about a million miles, but my trusty old 4D61 still "purrs like a kitten" at cruising, and apparently loves to roar occasionally when I get carried away at higher revs. That's why they are still referred to as "The Mighty Lehman". (Touching wood as I write)
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Interesting article , the source would be good to know.
I would disagree that Ford had anything to do with the Peugeot.
The 4D 61 was maranize not by the so called Ford Lehman but by Bob Smith who formerly worked for Lehman Manufacturing Company and reused the name , some strange issues in 80's.
anyway the classic Ford Lehman and the 'Lehman power' who built our 4D61 engines in NJ were not the same company. Lehman power was or became American Diesel Corp.
The Lehman manufacturing company ( actually nothing to do with Ford they just used the Ford-uk 'Fordson' 6 cyl tractor engine as the base for the marine engine).
There was another 4cyl engine produced by Lehman Manufacturing Company the SP90 that was also a Ford engine used in smaller boats , not very popular as vibrated and not a lot of saving compared to the 6 if you had the space.
The reference to other uses of the peogeot block are correct and it's a great block. They actually used the same parts in the gas and diesel versions of the road engines used in 404, 504 , various delivery vans (H) even an India produced jeep copy. In the cars these tall long stroke engines were tipped over 30 deg similiar to the Chrysler 'slant 6' if anybody remembers that. Peogeot were the largest producer of diesels for road use at one time , many other manafacturers used their engines . Cheers Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Bob Smith was a great storyteller. He was indeed an engineer for Lehman and had a big part in the marinizationn of the Peugeot base engine. He knew the 4D61 by heart - He helped to create it.

Two I remember...

For endurance testing, they put a 4D61 in a small boat, tied it bow first up against a bulkhead, started the engine, set it to full throttle... and went home for the night! They came back the next morning and the engine was still running just as if they had just started it.

Not sure if their neighbors were pleased with the results the same as Bob was.

Another... They once put TWO 4D61's in a boat and went WATERSKIING!

Lehman eventually let Bob go in a downsizing move. The new Lehman engineers had diffieculties solving a cooling problem and never quite figured it out. Bob commented that they let one engineer go (Bob), hired three new ones to replace him (at lesser pay) and then couldn't figure out how to fix the cooling problem.

Bob went on to start American Diesel in the Carolinas. And he owned TWO Albins - A 30FC and a 28TE. I believe Bob has since passed (Apologies Bob if you're still here!) and his son Brian took over the business. Not sure of the latest status though.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

One more... Bob said the Japanese market approached Lehman for a 50 hp Diesel engine. Something to do with fishing boat power restrictions in Japan, or something like that. Lehman only had the 61 hp 4D61 at the time. What did they do? They put a throttle stop on the 4D61's injector pump and called it the 4D50!

Ever see the power curves on the 4D61 and the 4D50? (they're in the owner's manual in the Library of this site). The 4D61 and the 4D50 have identical power curves, but the 4D50 stops just short of full RPM's. When it gets to 50 hp... stop. Genius!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

One thing I'm not sure on is where the (Lehman) Peugeot engines were actually marinized. There was a connection with a Lehman power company in 'Saxmundum Uk ' ( east coast)
Saxmundum is where my parent bought a business and ran it for 15 years before finally retiring near by. The area was a hot-bed of engineering , they used to build Steam engines for trains there! So it could well have been where the engines were maranized. They would have come into USA Like Beta engines are now .
I researched everything I could but could not find record of the UK operation. What would be suprizing would be bring the raw engines in to USA to convert when all the parts and sources are in Europe for Peogeot engines not USA. Other manafacturers were also maranizeing the same engine , Volvo , vetus etc so there was a euro supply chain for the engines.
Anybody know ?
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

Well, it would not have been unusual for Lehman to import crate engines from Europe for conversion to marine use. All the Ford diesel blocks that they used previously were imported from England anyway. Those engines were never built domestically in the US.

As Ford of England began using the Peugeot engines, it would have been business as usual for Lehman to bring them in as well.
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

Saxmundum made me chuckle!

That is exactly how someone from that part of England would no doubt pronounce it (with the emphasis on the first syllable as in SAX-mun-dum) , but the town is actually named Saxmundham.

Cannot help on Lehman, but there is an old folks home in the town, apparently, named Lehman House. Coincidence? Not an english name originally, in fact more likely jewish. Lehman that is, not Saxmundham.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”