• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 - That Time Has Come...

Albin's "power cruisers"
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sea Isle City, NJ

A25 - That Time Has Come...

Post by stxray »

In the words of Kenny Rodgers, "You've got to know when to fold them..." Well, I'm afraid that time has come. :( So, I'll be putting my A25 up for sale.

As some of you know (and have helped), I've been working on my A25 for the past few years with the intention of taking her from the northern Chesapeake bay down the ICW to Florida. My first attempt ended in Deltaville, VA with major engine failure. I towed her home and after much investigation, decided to have the original Volvo MD3B engine rebuilt.

This past fall, I again attempted my southern adventure. This time, I made it as far as Southport, NC where I again encountered engine trouble. Again, I towed her home where I have debated (mainly with myself) as to what to do and have decided to sell.

I'm working up a list of add-on's and improvements I've done and will, in the next few days, be posting boat, trailer and a Silverado 2500 HD here and on Craigslist. If you know of someone who might be interested do share my contact info.

I do want to thank everyone on this board for the help, guidance and friendship I've received. Although I didn't make it all the way to Florida, I did get to experience the ICW and the many fabulous "boat people" along the way. I couldn't have done it without the generous and knowledgeable members of this board.
Last edited by stxray on Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al Dente
1975 Albin 25 Deluxe, Hull #2350
Volvo Penta MD3B
Dinghy: 7'2" Achilles Inflatable w/ 2 Hp Honda
Residence: Southeast Pennsylvania
Homeport: Sea Isle City, NJ
11kolive
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vashon Island, WA

Re: A25 - That Time Has Come...

Post by 11kolive »

What are you asking for your boat and trailer please?
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Sorry to read that you are hanging up the keys. I’m sure you have put many enjoyable hours into Al Dente, and it sounds as if you have done some decent cruising in her. Must have been a difficult decision but I suspect one that many have had to make before.
You are right saying that this forum is a mine of information given willingly by good people. I don’t know what I would have done without AOG advice.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

So sorry to hear, Ray, but I get it.

I have enjoyed meeting you here at AOG and chatting on the phone with you. I hope we meet in person one day.

Best regards, Chief Bilge Cleaner and Engine Wiper on the WillieC
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

As a South Jersey native I too am sorry to hear that as well. But when it's time, it's time. You'll always have the memories of places you did get to go & people you met. To every thing there's a season. We're looking at maybe four or five more years & then we'll see if it's time for us to move on. The PO we bought from had owned our boat for 13 years & didn't do much with it the last couple years they had it. This month marks six years since we took ownership. These boats are so well built they'll outlast us as long as they have a good engine. If you're going to put it up for sale now's a good time with spring on the way.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Stxray, I'm sorry to hear the news, but I can understand. I wish you well in future endeavors!

I remember reading about your latest journey while I was still waiting to pick up my A25. I was hoping to catch your dock lines in Charleston on your next journey. While you didn't make it to Florida, I count your journeys as successful because you've been fortunate enough to cruise a good chunk of the waterway, something most Americans, even owners of cruising boats, have not done. Those memories of ambling down the winding waterways are some of the best in my life, as I'm sure they are for you. I have no doubt you'll soon find a good home for your boat. If you ever decide to get a different boat and chug down the ditch again, I'll be happy to catch your dock lines.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Stxray,

Well, once you do sell Al Dente perhaps you could use some of those recouped funds to go "A La Carte" to do bareboat charters (either power or sail) on OPB's (Other Peoples Boats). In which case you wouldn't have to worry about engine problems and other maintenance issues. Let the charter company deal with that. Sharing expenses with another like minded couple could help with these larger boats.

Couple of bucket list destinations I could suggest are:

1)Desolation Sound Charters, Comox, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
http://www.desolationsoundyachtcharters ... ion-sound/

2)Rideau Canal, Ontario, Canada
https://www.leboat.com/boating-vacation ... canal#tab1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsexdtGFFj4

Closer to home there's barge rentals on the Erie Canal.

Best of luck with your plans!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Stxray, I echo the previous comments. Always a sad day to "hang up the keys".

Like DA, I always perk up when I read "NJ" in someone's signature, having spent my incorrigible youth (and first year of college at Rutgers) living in Point Pleasant, Normandy Beach and Maplewood.

And, like noted, you HAVE done more cruising in your A25 than most, myself included. After 5 years of owning my 27FC, "Bunkie", I did less cruising than the gent I sold her to... on his first trip! And, I have yet to pilot my A25 after three years of getting her ship-shape. I promise myself this will be the year.

Two "abbreviated" cruises on the ICW south? I have to admit, I'm jealous. I wish you all the best.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sea Isle City, NJ

Post by stxray »

Thank you for all the kind comments.

I've been debating with myself whether to continue my restoration with the hope of making another ICW attempt but, in the end, I've decided to sell. :(

On one hand I believe I'm very close to being ready to set sail again but, on the other hand, I think I've missed my window. Mainly for health reason, I've come to realize a solo run down the ICW is no longer within my capabilities. :(

Before I list her on Craig's List hopefully by next week (and at a higher price), I thought I'd post notice here.

Although I've put a lot into her as part of my restoration, she is not a perfect boat. There are some issues that will need to be address, mainly the engine. So, if you're interested in a very nice, almost ready, A25 and trailer located in southeastern Pennsylvania, shoot me a PM and I'll provide pictures, a list of all the improvements and we can start a dialog hopefully resulting in her going to a good home.

My price here on AOG is $6,500.
Al Dente
1975 Albin 25 Deluxe, Hull #2350
Volvo Penta MD3B
Dinghy: 7'2" Achilles Inflatable w/ 2 Hp Honda
Residence: Southeast Pennsylvania
Homeport: Sea Isle City, NJ
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC