• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 27 Skeg replacement

Albin's "power cruisers"
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: Albin 27 Skeg replacement

Post by nebulatech »

motthediesel wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:20 pm Adding steel or fiberglass rods into center of the core would add little to the stiffness of the beam. Stiffness comes from the balance of the compression/tension forces of opposing skins. It’s all about the skins.
I've been pondering this. I finally thought of the example of balsa-cored decks. Balsa is much softer and more compressive than PVC. It also rots; the worst of both worlds. Nonetheless, boat builders used balsa core for over a decade on decks which received constant punishment. I think, like may yachtsmen, we've been trying to over analyze your solution. I think it will work out fine. Personally, I would want at least 3 layers of glass because sanding the outer layer will reduce its strength. If you have a good resin to glass ratio, you'll be able to do that fine in 1/8".
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

I plan on using 3 layers of the bi-axial cloth on each side, with one or two around the edges. That might get me to a final thickness slightly over 1-3/4”. If so, I’ll have to grind a bit away where the rudder bearing bracket fits. The bi-axial cloth consists of high strength woven roving and mat in a single layer. It builds up strength and thickness quickly, and, in matrix with epoxy resin, make a crazy strong structure.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

I checked out the bi-axial cloth. It wasn't what I was thinking. I was thinking of plain glass mat. That looks close to woven roving, but more pliable. I bet it is tough stuff!

One thought, if you have enough spare material to test with, you could do a sample of 3 layers, maybe 3" x 3" and measure the thickness. There's so little of the bracket that will overlap your new post that you could easily sand down the pvc to accomodate in just that section. That might be the easiest thing to do.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
PonusNick
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stamford, CT

Post by PonusNick »

Thanks to all those who replied and provided some fuel for thought. When it was clear that Covid 19 was going to delay my launch I took the time to remove the skeg for a thorough assessment. Turns out it was not as bad as it looked...so I applied three costs of clear epoxy and two coats of barrier to all sides. Not as good as new but pretty close. Splashed her this past weekend...
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

PonusNick wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:11 pm Splashed her this past weekend...
Now I'm jealous!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

PonusNick wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:11 pm Splashed her this past weekend...
Hope you checked beforehand with the Reichsaktivitätsnötigkeitsuntersuchungsamt.
Oh no, I forgot. You're in America. Land of the Free.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”