• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Picture request: canvas over wheelhouse

Albin's "power cruisers"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Picture request: canvas over wheelhouse

Post by WillieC »

When I get the hang of it, I am going to make cozies for my valve covers.
Do they make Volvo green sunbrella?
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

The gent I sold "Bunkie" to said he was traveling south to Florida via the ICW with... his sewing machine.

Yup. He planned to make canvas stuff for the boat during his off hours of piloting.

Definitely not "girly" and sewing canvas is a rather lucrative profession in these parts. Heck, Mills Canvas and Sailmakers is in my town and they had a rather long run making canvas for Boston Whaler. Not too shabby.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

I finally had a few minutes to go climb back up on my boat. It uses regular snaps down the sides and twist snaps on the back as it tors both pieces of canvas together there.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Twist snaps around the perimeter of the cockpit canvas enclosure & the bottom edge of the rear window flap (lip of aft cabin top). Zippers on sides of side curtain flaps, button snaps on covers of windshield & wheelhouse side windows.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:41 am Helps sometimes to practice on scrap material to get the hang of it & make sure you have the right # needle (different types for different threads & materials, canvas vs leather etc) & machine is not skipping stitches. You'll be a pro in no time. Those Sailrite how to videos are worth their weight in gold to help learn tricks of the trade. It's actually fun. Before you know it you'll be making covers for the windshield & side windows, cushions for the cockpit side bench seats, etc. Sewing is not a "girly" thing, just another aspect of marlinspike seamanship. Arrrgh!
I'm actually looking forward to it. Definitely will need some practice! Unfortunately, Covid-19 has schools cancelled, and the free time I had during my work day is now consumed with homeschooling. I'll get there eventually.

Dieselram, thank you for getting back about the snaps. I ordered the twist type, and I think I'll use those.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I've joked around lately (not here) playing Monty Python's "Bring out your dead" scene from the Holy Grail film on YouTube. Not so funny anymore.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”