• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

27SC vs 28TE

Albin's "power cruisers"
allante
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Amesbury Ma

27SC vs 28TE

Post by allante »

Does anyone have an opinion on 27SC vs 28TE. I really want a 28TE but I can buy a 27SC for a third the money.
I can see the physical differences and read the spec descriptions but what about real sea worthiness, speed, fuel, dependability, maintenance etc etc

thanx in advance
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: 27SC vs 28TE

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Well, it's really apples vs oranges. 28TE (TE = Tournament Express) is a fast planning sport fishing boat with the kind of open aft cockpit you want for deep sea fishing whereas the 27 FC (FC = Family Cruiser) is a 7 or 8 knot aft cabin pocket trawler. Cost wise, both in purchase price & fuel economy there is no comparison. That said I'll leave it to actual owners of both types to expand on the differences.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

What DA says. Differnt strokes altogether. There is plenty of research material available here at AOG. Take your time.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

I guess they don't know the SC 27. They're both good boats but a world of difference in the cabin design, interior space, engine etc. The 28TE is a fast boat designed for fishing and not cruising, although it can be used for short cruises if you don't mind converting the berth/ table every night or just using the small quarter berth, and the galley kinda sucks. It's also a helluva lot more expensive maintenance-wise. The 27SC is slower, (not really a planning hull) smaller, gotta convert the V berth every night also, although it only takes about 30 seconds, and is about 1/4 to 1/3 the price. They really aren't very comparable in the end. For offshore work the 28TE is way better than the 27SC. I personally have the 27FC and wouldn't trade it for a 28 'cause I'm a cruiser and not much of a lake or offshore fisherman anymore. I prefer mountain stream fishing. Ben
allante
First Mate
First Mate

Post by allante »

Thanx all. So really the 28SC(Sport Cruiser) is more a coastal cruiser and the 28TE is ok offshore?
I envision being coastal along New England. Maybe some day the Great Loop. But time will tell
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

The 27SC is a poor mans version of the 28TE. They're both primarily fishing machines. The 27 is an adapted hull (still has a massive keel for a semi-planning hull) and the 28 was designed as a planning hull. BIG difference! They'll both take more than you can sea-wise but both are more of a weekender as far as cruising goes. I'd definitely recommend the 28 as an offshore machine over the 27SC! I cruised in N England for about 5 years (on a 42 foot ketch) and it can get really nasty there, fast so the extra speed of the 28TE would be very beneficial. Ben
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

Is a planning hull the same thing as a planing hull? Different spelling in USA? Still pronounced PLAY-ning, or do you pronounce it PLANN-ing?

Winston Churchill, who was of course half American, said that Britain and America were two countries separated by a common language.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

Why not consider stepping up a size? This looks to be quite a deal.

Sorry, a link to C-list won't work on this forum. Go to C-list Sarasota and search for Albin.
20200310_140034.jpg
And if you do the same search for orangecounty (all one word) C-list you'll find a 33' for only $9k, that obviously needs much more doing to it, but still looks like a great deal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Bob, My dang computer keeps changing my spelling. I spell it with single "n" and when I press "submit", it changes. I'm not a computer guy so don't know how to correct it. I guess the designer/programmer of this unit ain't a boater. Ben
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

tego wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:17 pm Bob, My dang computer keeps changing my spelling. I spell it with single "n" and when I press "submit", it changes. I'm not a computer guy so don't know how to correct it. I guess the designer/programmer of this unit ain't a boater. Ben
I'll PM you.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Bob, I was referring to the spelling of "planing". One "n" is correct. My wife explained how to bypass this computers "spellcheck". Ben
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

tego wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:13 pm Bob, I was referring to the spelling of "planing". One "n" is correct. My wife explained how to bypass this computers "spellcheck". Ben
Ah! That's funny. Not another Americanism after all. Having lived this end of the Atlantic for so long, I am never sure if I am encountering an error or a variation. Spell Check.... I turn the bugger off!

Anyway, it seems that the 28 is a very desirable boat, but the very similar 33 and 34 foot models (similar to my untutored eye that is) are often a bargain. Of course that TE is of the type of fast, large, aggressive-looking fishing vessel that seems to be all the rage amongst the macho set. I would imagine one would have to be smoking Cohiba cigars while piloting it.
allante
First Mate
First Mate

Post by allante »

Thanx Bob. I dont really want to go over 30/31 feet. And I dont want a flybridge. I really like the 28TE or maybe a 31Te
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

. Of course that TE is of the type of fast, large, aggressive-looking fishing vessel that seems to be all the rage amongst the macho set. I would imagine one would have to be smoking Cohiba cigars while piloting it.
Ha, that is funny.. :shock:
I got a 28TE, but not a macho guy: A lover, not a fighter :mrgreen:
Don’t fish or smoke cigars either, bought it for coastal cruising and for
sight seeing charters with little old Ladies sipping champagne.
The 28TE is a great boat in many ways.
www.odincharters.com
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

I was hoping someone would be amused!

It must be a sheep in wolf's clothing. It is certainly a sleek-looking boat.

Be careful of those little old ladies after a couple of glasses of champagne! 🍷 🍷

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”