• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Rubrail - Going, going, gone

Albin's "power cruisers"
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

A25 Rubrail - Going, going, gone

Post by nebulatech »

Hi all,

I just wanted to post here one more time. I'm giving away the original rubrail from my A25. It's in poor condition. Listing is here:
http://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtopi ... 13&t=12261

If anyone needs it, or even just a section of it, let me know. I'll get you the best piece I can and send photos of it before mailing. I can be impatient about cleaning out old stuff. I don't plan to keep it around much longer, maybe another week or two. We just don't have a lot of room for storage, living in a small suburban neighborhood. I'm over my limit as it is with the new addition of my boat. My garage /workshop is almost too cluttered to even do any working in it.
(whine whine whine, 1st world problems)
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Re: A25 Rubrail - Going, going, gone

Post by NickScheuer »

What did you replace it with?
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

My boat's going through a complete refit, so right now i have nothing on it. I'm going to make a new rubrail out of Cypress with a stainless trim around the outside, maybe 7/8". I'm choosing cypress because it is a local indigenous species, rot proof (debatable), easy to work with and I can stain and finish it to look like teak. It is also affordable enough, direct from the local lumber mill, that I can make mistakes with it without feeling too hurt about it. Once my design and method are sound, I can remake it with teak if I choose.

Cypress is a soft wood, so ultimately its not ideal, but the freeboard on the A25 is so high that it's above all of the floating docks in my area, and a fender board is ideal for mooring against pilings.

Work on the paint and rubrail will be mid to late summer. I will send pictures of the finished product.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

If I had the skills and really thought it was imperative, I would install a half-pipe crash rail, like real boats have. And with those skills, I would add a keel cooler...to my matching A25 steel hull, but I digress.

Of course, a steel rubrail would likely do as much damage to the WillieC in the event of contact with other objects. Yeah, fender boards are a much better use of resources.

People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVXR2LYeFBI

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”