• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 for sale in Annapolis

Albin's "power cruisers"
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

A25 for sale in Annapolis

Post by Bob Noodat »

Looking on the dreaded CList for Annapolis I noticed a rather sad Albin 25 De Luxe. I think it has had the roof of the wheelhouse hacked off and the most (IMO) 'orrible looking elevated canvas top concocted. Presumably owned by an NBA player. Looks in need of considerabke work. Described as follows:

** DA points out this is in fact in Wilmington NC. Can also be found on that area's CL**

1979 Albin 25' Deluxe, trawler, new motor - $10500
(Wilmington near downtown)
Good condition

Propeller size 17x12. Needs cosmetics only. Re-powered with 25HP Beta diesel. Currently on about 10 hours. Aluminum trailer in great condition. Have all manuals and recent work receipts.

Runs well.
Needs:
coat of bottom paint,
interior paint,
canvas,
head plumbing finish,
some interior wood work, i.e., door installed, some trim, etc,
windshield wipers and motor,
minor electrical

Ready for survey and sea trial anytime.
Contact us for any additional questions. Willing to negotiate delivery.

00M0M_kimKnV20vIE_1200x900.jpg
00k0k_cciVlOk8M9j_1200x900.jpg
01111_hD3MftPGo0w_1200x900.jpg
00n0n_3pIqDYrUD5z_1200x900.jpg
00v0v_jA5ZEREXCVu_1200x900.jpg
00202_lPl5iT0teJP_1200x900.jpg
00o0o_4HPFGXpcYnV_1200x900.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by Bob Noodat on Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: A25 for sale in Annapolis

Post by WillieC »

At least the wiring looks good, and the cushions.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Far anyone having some experience with fiberglass restoring that pilothouse would not be a big deal.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I see what you mean about the roof being "hacked off", which is too bad, it compromises the structural integrity of the wheelhouse. Yes, it could use a lot of TLC. On the other hand the engine alone is worth the seller's asking price, plus the trailer is worth another few thousand. Similar new aluminum trailer like the one this one sits on sells new in the range of $4,000-$6,000 US. So right there you could buy the boat with trailer, pull the engine, sell it and the trailer & scrap the boat (which would be a sacrilege of course), and still come out ahead. I see other pluses & minuses. First off, this is later model De Luxe version which should have 36 or so HP. This one has a nice Beta unit but it's 25 HP, which would be fine for the early full displacement hull like mine but a tad under powered for a De Luxe. Then there's the chopped wheelhouse roof, but that could be remedied by removing all that canvas which is shot anyway and adding a full length "BC" hardtop like WillieC has. Obviously needs a lot of the interior repainted & the settee & other cushions are questionable. The galley looks interesting, they've removed the space for a galley stove & installed a front loading fridge which takes up a lot of the under counter storage space, but actually not a bad place to put a fridge. Now only if a fridge like that could run off propane. The head appears to lack a holding tank, which should be located outboard of where the batteries are, or if there is one it's quite small, and no sign of pumpout plumbing. The toilet Y valve looks curious in that it goes direct from the toilet to the Y valve which can be lined up to dump directly overboard or to the hose that goes through the bulkhead to where a holding tank goes. I just got finished re-working my Y valve setup, where the toilet plumbs all effluent to enter the holding tank near the top and the Y valve selects whether to drain the tank overboard (only where legal 3 miles or more offshore in the ocean) or to the deck pump out fitting. Seller says, "Willing to negotiate delivery." Ha ha, wonder if that includes Ft. St. James, BC? What the heck, only 5,150 km away! Only about 1,800 litres of truck fuel to transport (truck alone eastbound, truck + boat westbound) :D

If I lived back east & had acreage & a shop to work on it that might be a good candidate to "flip".
20200114_175059.jpg
All in all for that price with that engine (which you could swap out for a Beta 35) it looks like a worthy project boat.

Also, by the way since you mentioned Annapolis which is in Maryland, the Wilmington they're talking about is 400 miles south in North Carolina, not the nearby Wilmington in the state of Delaware.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

Excellent analysis DA.

** You are right DA, it is NC. Why placed in an Annapolis area ad I don't know**

The small engine certainly put me off. I think that trading it for a larger one would simply not be practicable. I am pretty sure you'd get nothing for the Beta and pay big bucks for its replacement. Too many of those yacht engines going begging. The trailer might be valuable, but for all we know, it might be on 3000lb axles. If it were closer I'd find out more. To me it looks like a five grand deal.

I hope it does get rescued. Gives me that lonely puppy feeling seeing it.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

WillieC wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:46 pm At least the wiring looks good, and the cushions.
LOL!!!
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

I really like the cockpit sole (pics on Clist) and the bowsprit. I also like the deck paint job.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

That raised top is a bit unfortunate for sure, but there is a lot of good there too. Depending on how the boat is to be used, 25 hp might be just fine for some folks. It might restrict top speed a bit, but I bet it will still cruise, at least in flat water, at 6 or 6-1/2 kts all day long.
It is surprising how little power is needed to push a hull designed for sub-planing to hull speed. I once had a 26 ft, 7000# Frances cutter equipped with only a 3hp British Seagull OB. In slack water, it would make almost 5kts. A strong headwind would nearly stop it, but that was an extreme case of under powering. I’m sure that 25hp Beta would have given it all it would ever have needed.

As someone else said, the money they’re asking is the price of the engine, you’d be getting the boat for free. :D

Tom
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

My project A25 deLuxe is getting a 25 hp Vetus diesel transplant. The Vetus is a Mitsubishi base engine and is MUCH lighter than the original Volvo.

Why? Well, it came with the boat when I bought it, uninstalled though.

I did some boatdiesel.com calculations and with the reduced displacement (lighter motor) the top speed comes to within 1 knot of the original Volvo lump.

A modern 25 hp might be just fine. I hope to have some real world results with mine this summer. Wish me luck!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

Well, for me anyway, any near-future US$$$ purchase is looking increasingly unlikely. The Canadian Piaster at sub 70¢ with no bottom in sight......😣😯😢😭😧
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

RE: US-CAD $ exchange rate, a bit off topic, but at the rate COVID 19 & attendant economic fallout as well as US-Canada border restrictions are going the near future outlook is looking pretty dicey. Our planned travel to Ontario & Quebec to loop the Rideau & Richelieu later this summer is in serious jeopardy regardless of how favorable the exchange rate is for us. A 7c, 9% drop is pretty serious. Buckle up, we're in for a bumpy ride.

As an aside our local Lake Pleasant Sailing Club has canceled all meetings & on water club raft ups and events until further notice, and this is our prime sailing season.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

DA, I really think that borders will be open and life, at least on the surface will be back to normal before your planned trip. However, you'll probably get some cheap living up here, since that exchange rate looks good for you and bad for us for some time.

Oh well, what's a person to do about it? ßïťçh, that's what I do!
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Bob Noodat wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:53 pm DA, I really think that borders will be open and life, at least on the surface will be back to normal before your planned trip. However, you'll probably get some cheap living up here, since that exchange rate looks good for you and bad for us for some time.

Oh well, what's a person to do about it? ßïťçh, that's what I do!
I know this is off topic, and I probably should keep my thoughts to myself.................however I think this entire virus thing is way overblown and while serious it will be over relatively soon. I lots of people want to get caught up in it for the drama. Facebook is evidence of it...

I’ll shut up about it now...
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

If there was a like button I'd press it.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Dieselram94 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:16 pm I know this is off topic, and I probably should keep my thoughts to myself.................however I think this entire virus thing is way overblown and while serious it will be over relatively soon. I lots of people want to get caught up in it for the drama. Facebook is evidence of it...
I initially felt similar. Superficially, it sounds silly to get worked up over a 3% mortality rate, even though that's over 7 million Americans (US population 330 Million).

However, consider this; the average mortality rate in the USA is 1.5% annually (4.95 million Americans). This virus has, lets say a 3% mortality rate (15% for those over 70). That mortality rate isn't per year, its per infection, so if we get 50% of the populace infected within 2 months, that adds another 1.5% to the mortality rate, condensed into a period of 1-2 months, not a whole 12 months. Doctors' offices, hospitals, even funeral homes just aren't equipped to process that number of deaths in such a short time. No, we're not talking Bubonic Plague or even Spanish Influenza. These are just the deaths, not infections, which also require resources to manage. There is such a shortage of tests available that even health care professionals are not being tested.

This virus IS happening. There's no preventing it. Nobody is going to stay quarantined forever. Most of us will eventually be infected. The point is to slow down the infection rate to a manageable level, while ramping up production of what we need to handle it (test kits, ventilators, hospital beds), as well as protect our seniors who are most vulnerable as we work on effective treatments and a preventative vaccine.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”