• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Packing box help?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Packing box help?

Post by Plum76 »

I’m looking for a bit of guidance on what I have here, with relation to my packing box. New boat to me and on my list for pre-launch this year is to inspect and do maintenance on my stuffing box.

What I am seeing is a non-adjustable packing box, apparently just a rubber seal on the shaft end (fore end) and a great filled cavity to keep things dry. Am I missing something here
E75076FA-62AA-4F5C-80BF-2C259422BF92.jpeg
Also, when the rubber box is slid forward, I can move the shaft within the limits of the thru-hull propshaft tube, seems like that might be a bad bearing at the stern? Or is that rear bearing in a flex mount?

My shaft is a 25mm unit, running the AD21 motor..

Thanks all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Packing box help?

Post by dkirsop »

Hull No. 1013, 1971
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Re: Packing box help?

Post by NickScheuer »

Looks just like mine. I refilled the bronze fitting with more greae and that slowed the inflow of water through the cutlass bearing.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”