• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Flapping squatters!

Albin's "power cruisers"
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: Flapping squatters!

Post by nebulatech »

Thanks to Nancy for correcting my blunder.

The squatters are coming along. I expect any day they will be taking the first leaps from the nest into the cockpit sole.
20200328_105328.jpg
As for me, I'm continuing the good fight. I finally got the glue from the foam liner stripped off the inner hull. Here's the first coat of primer. I decided to use Benjamin Moore North Star as my off white interior color. It's a close match to the cabin sole. In case you're wondering, I'm going to remove the joinery in stages to remove the liner and paint behind it as well. Renovating the head will be fun! The bare hull will be dressed up by installing 2" horizontal slats above and below the shelving (after I rebuild the shelving).
20200329_160712.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Coming along nicely!

Your pics of the nest remind me that soon we should be seeing killdeer nests in the gravel drives. Neighbors have a big rock garden full of fist size rocks the killdeer love. This is a great time of the year for bird watching on our cove. Watched a seagull harass an eagle yesterday. Never dull.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Oh, my cabin looked about like that last week too, as I had to pull a lot of that joinery out to get the water tank out to repair a leak. Finally got all back together. But the tank has to be lifted straight up and out to be removed due that one glassed in verticle plywood panel at the aft end of the tank. That means the front piece that separates cabin from anchor locker has to be taken out, which means the side shelves have to be removed to get that out. Then to get at the outlet hoses (one hose in my case since the vanity sink in the head had long since been taken out & gotten rid if by PO) the floor panel of that little storage bin behind the tank had to be removed. In order to get that out the two panels over the settees had to be removed. All just to be able to pull the tank.
Moral of story: make sure your tank doesn't leak before you put everything back together. After all, that roto molded plastic water tank is almost 50 years old.
Any progress on roof canvas?
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:22 am Any progress on roof canvas?
Today I set up the sewing machine for canvas. I had to sew together some seatbelt-type webbing for the kids' outdoor swing. Its a finicky old machine, so it took some work to get it configured right. Tomorrow, I hope to lay out my template. I'll be installing the rod you sent me.

Oh and the squatters took flight. Empty nest syndrome around here.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

They're back!

New squatters, still Carolina Wrens. They've been emboldened by their previous success. This time they set up in the forward accommodation, with convenient access to the head and galley.
20200529_195057.jpg
I'm becoming fearful they might file for a quick claim deed. What to do?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

How do they get in? Need to block access. Is it too late to remove the nest?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

I did relocate the nest today. We have a bird house on the back fence. But they keep trying! I was having lunch with my son in the cockpit when a wren flew up with a leaf in its beak!

They get into the cabin from the main companionway. I have been using a lot of chemicals in the boat so want to keep it aired out. I did install new vent covers yesterday. By the time nesting season is over I will be ready to close things up.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”