• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 transmission seal leak

Albin's "power cruisers"
Randall
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: North fort myers,fl

A27 transmission seal leak

Post by Randall »

Hurth HBW transmission rear seal is leaking when shaft is in motion. Any chance of changing seal and bearing without backing driveshaft out? Something simple to repair would be a welcome change.

Randall
1986 A27. “Meridian
North Fort Myers, Fl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: A27 transmission seal leak

Post by hetek »

I hate to say it but... brace yourself. You might want to sit down for what you're about to read...

I had the exact same leak with my Hurth. Long story short: The seal is only accessible after disassembling the entire box, and if I recall correctly, a full day's labor.

I pray I'm wrong for your sake. Hopefully you have a "new and improved" later model gear that doesn't need such extensive work. I have to say I was almost floored when I heard the news about mine.

I think mine was about $500 +/-, but the shop also reshimmed the end play and gave it a good bill of health.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
Randall
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: North fort myers,fl

Post by Randall »

Did you pull transmission yourself and the $500. + - for bench repair only? Amen to the help from above. I’m looking into parts and boatyards and also hope my Albin in one put together without the center bearing. Will investigate soon. Thanks for the information Jon. B.

Randall
1986 Albin FC “meridian”
North Fort Myers, Fl
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

It's been a couple years. The gear was on the Vetus engine I was repowering my Albin 25 with. I had not yet installed it in the boat.

I discovered the drip while I was test running the engine in my driveway. I even made a video!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4biETfTllOM

You can see in my "to do" list at the end is the "reseal gear" item. The alarm on the panel was the raw water temp sensor - since replaced.

Special cameo appearance by the original 40 year old Albin "Elastomuff" muffler, now gone.

I used LI Marine Engine and Transmission in West Babylon, NY. They do bench tests for $75. Mine needed more than a bench test.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”