• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Looking for Albin 25 - Discussion

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sookelarry
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Victoria

Looking for Albin 25 - Discussion

Post by Sookelarry »

Hello everyone. Looking for Albin 25 in BC or Pacific NW. If you have a lead or saw one somewhere I would appreciate a email. Thanks for your help. I'm located on Vancouver Island.
Cheers
Larry
allante
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Amesbury Ma

Re: Looking for Albin 25

Post by allante »

I know of a 70's Abin 25 Deluxe for sale. Has a new Yanmar and includes a trailer. But the boat needs a complete restoration. $10k
11kolive
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vashon Island, WA

Post by 11kolive »

There is one on the FB Albin 25 & 27 page in WA, the San Juan’s.
Sookelarry
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Victoria

Post by Sookelarry »

allante wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:16 am I know of a 70's Abin 25 Deluxe for sale. Has a new Yanmar and includes a trailer. But the boat needs a complete restoration. $10k
Would you have the details of where it is and perhaps some pictures. Thanks
allante
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Amesbury Ma

Post by allante »

Sookelarry wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:09 am
allante wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:16 am I know of a 70's Abin 25 Deluxe for sale. Has a new Yanmar and includes a trailer. But the boat needs a complete restoration. $10k
Would you have the details of where it is and perhaps some pictures. Thanks
It was on Facebook Marketplace. Its located in Buzzards Bay, Mass I believe.
They stated it a late 80's boat

<>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

That stern sure looks first gen to me. Not late 80s. Did A25s even make it to the 80s?
Otherwise most of that patina will buff right out. At least the outside patina.

Leighway, the boat in the SJI is definitely worth a close look. It floats, runs, has been taken care of, is ready for use and has a great history. Sounds like the family is too far away to get much use of her.

I was young once, too. The "late 80s" gen one hull with the nice, buffable patina is a veritable money pit. My well used, floating, running mid-70s A25 has been a money pit of its own, one credit card swipe at a time. And we paid just a bit less than what they are asking for Leighway. Start higher in the chain. You'll end up paying less and enjoying it more.
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

That Mass boat might be quite a find. Someone has spent much money in the past on radar, top of the line trailer and anchor windlass just at first glance.

Of course it might have had ten years of melting snow and packrats too. Are there Mass Pack Rats?
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

I’d like to have that swim deck off the one on mass for my boat
11kolive
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 11kolive »

I can certainly provide some input about Leighway, we sold her to her current owners. Here is a blog of One of our trips with her. http://princesslouisa2010.blogspot.com/

We considered buying her back, we liked her that much, but being in our 70’s, our financial advisor suggested otherwise because of health issues, not boat concern issues. She was our favorite boat of all the boats we owned. More fun per dollar, safe, easy upkeep, great layout, lean, efficient and just the best boat!
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Thank you, Keith, for weighing in. I follow your posts on another forum as well and know how much you enjoyed your time on Leighway. I wish you the best and appreciate your wisdom, perspective, and joy of life and that you have shared some of that with us at a AOG. We are richer for that.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I was young once, too. The "late 80s" gen one hull with the nice, buffable patina is a veritable money pit. My well used, floating, running mid-70s A25 has been a money pit of its own, one credit card swipe at a time. And we paid just a bit less than what they are asking for Leighway. Start higher in the chain. You'll end up paying less and enjoying it more.
Ain't that the truth! At least except for the last sentence. We started higher up the chain & still spent many more B.O.A.T. units on repairs, upgrades, improvements etc. If we'd known better at the time I would have bargained harder for a larger price drop. But we knew what we wanted and there wasn't anything else closer, as in within thousands of miles, available at the time. Even so, it had & still has a sound, quiet running Yanmar, good interior that was restored by that previous owner, a good trailer although that has cost a lot to repair & maintain. All the other stuff was for personal preferences & the enjoyment of working on it as a hobby. But you know what, all boats are money pits to one extant or another. But the memories & adventures we've accumulated over the past six years have been priceless.

I'm too lazy to keep a blog like Keith or Hira Reid with Shatoosh but I have accumulated a large collection of photos of all the places we've been including San Juans, Gulf Islands, Princess Louisa Inlet & Chatterbox Falls, Desolation Sound, BC Sunshine Coast, Erie Canal, Block Island Sound in CT & RI, Chesapeake Bay, and Catalina Island. And hopefully next year adding the so-called Triangle Loop.

Keith, I'm sad to hear that health issues are ending your boating days, but age catches up with all of us eventually I guess. I'm in my late 60s & still in good health except for a fear of stepping on the bathroom scale, soon staring 70s in the face.

Here's that photo of La Dolce Vita in front of Chatterbox Falls from 2016 almost identical to the one of Leighway 2010 in your blog. How's that for coincidence!
DSCF3610crop.jpg
At Chatterbox 2.JPG
As far as looking for an A25, while it's a long way from the Pacific NW, I just had an email exchange with Joe DeMers of Sound Marine Diesel in Connecticut, and he has one of his two A25's up for sale, the boat alone for $998 sans engine & no trailer but with a Yanmar 3GM30F engine available for separate purchase for $4,498. It's an early model full displacement hull like mine and includes a sail rig. That makes total with engine under $6K. It's the boat on the right and has been exposed to the weather, so you'd have to ask how much work it needs cosmetically. Also having the engine installed (Joe is expert a repowering jobs) and obviously transporting it across the country, with or without its own trailer which you'd have to find one if your situation warrants it adds considerably to the cost.
DSCN2505.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Mon May 18, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
11kolive
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 11kolive »

DesertAlbin, I cannot complain too much. My health is steady, my wife’s goes roller coaster at times and we really do miss boating. Leighway is up for sale and we almost bought her back! But the cards and finances were just not there. Love the Chatterbox twins photo! Life is full of adventures and many chapters yet to unfold. Still consider myself fortunate to be a Albin person.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Life is full of adventures and many chapters yet to unfold. Still consider myself fortunate to be a Albin person.
You'll always have those memories. Chapters yet left to unfold, just different ones, like RV travels for instance, like this maybe.
Lost-Dutchman-State-Park-Campground-view.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
11kolive
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 11kolive »

[attachment=1]081E7EC5-4DDF-49E2-A168-C346390AEB19.jpeg
]Desert Albin, yes so many things to do. We truck camper RV and right now I am expanding my small woodshop.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: Looking for Albin 25 - Discussion

Post by hetek »

Ha! DA!

You could double the size of your woodshop if you relocated the refridgerator! But who am I to talk. I have a two car garage with a lift (OK, three car garage) and the lift and the right bay are full of my Albin stuff.

The PNW is a bit out of my area of expertise. NY? Maybe.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”