• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Question - Lehman 4D61 Engine Opinions

Albin's "power cruisers"
REO
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Re: New Question - Lehman 4D61 Engine Opinions

Post by REO »

I am considering a Beta 38 or 50 diesel from Beta Marine. These are marinized Kubota diesels. I was told that the newer diesels are quieter, vibrate less and are less prone to down wind diesel fumes. Anybody have experience with these engines. The Beta Marine web site has lots of interesting information.
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

Well, I don’t have any experience with Beta marine engines, but I do have the same 4 cylinder block in my Kubota tractor. It is a terrific engine — reliable, smooth, and quiet. As much as I like our old Peugeot, the Kubota would make a good shipmate for sure.
REO
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Post by REO »

I have spoken with the rep at Beta Marine and he recommended the 50 hp engine. Their website recommends the smaller 38 hp. If I can cruise at 6.5 knots I will be happy, but more power could be very useful against a strong tide or headwind. He quoted about $14,000 for the 50 hp. I think the 38 is about $1,000 less. I know that I will not get much of that back when we sell, but a smooth quiet and reliable engine and transmission would really transform my boat. I guess we have drifted a bit from the original question, but if you purchase an Albin with a 4D61 this may become an issue. On the other hand, I believe that one can coax many years out of these engines with careful maintenance and some luck searching for parts.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

Search below for a thread “Albin 27FC Repower” from around April. Includes data on speed and noise for a Beta 50 in a 27FC. Very happy with this engine, but not a move I would make just for noise level.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”